Thread: Photograph restoration

Photograph restoration

A few weeks ago there was a serious fire in our apartment block which caused a lot of damage. One of our friend's apartment was almost completely gutted. She has managed to recover a few photographs, and has asked me if I can help her to scan and restore these so that she can have some new prints.

Here's the problem - some of the prints are stuck to broken glass - like this;

Using photoshop to clone out the line of broken glass is quite difficult. Is there a good way to remove the print from the glass, without causing more damage? It would then be much easier to scan and restore, and give her some prints.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Re: Photograph restoration

That really sucks.

Scan much higher resolution, you could 'easily' remove the cracked glass line.

By 'easily' I mean it'll be easier to fix than further damage to the image by ripping it from the glass.

You would never rip that from the glass, I would scan it first as stated at a higher res so you have a back up. I would ask that nieghbor if she will sign a disclaimer for doing the following:

Let the print and the glass soak in distilled water, it should loosen from the glass. You then can dry what is left of the print on a blotter or with a gently set hair dryer. I think I would opt for the blotter. The additional benefits beyond not having the cracked glass will be a lot of the dirt and green cast should be removed once the glass is gone from the picture.

Then scan or photograph the loose print,...will save alot of time.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

That's only if it's a good enough wet print. A lot of home photos are inkjet.

Thanks, Ash and Greg. It's not an inkjet, but on photographic paper. I'll try soaking it in distilled water to get it off the broken glass.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    Thanks, Ash and Greg. It's not an inkjet, but on photographic paper. I'll try soaking it in distilled water to get it off the broken glass.
    You might try testing by making a surplus print stick to glass. Kodak recommended soaking in PhotoFlo to separate photos caused by flood damage.
    al