Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My New Mule

Consulting the pineal gland

Re: My New Mule

Now you all have me considering getting a bike for my midlife crisis.

I can see the sensibility of it for photographic trips, in a way. I hesitate to take our "family car" down really nasty roads, worried I will break it in some inopportune place. A dual-sport bike could get more places, with less risk to the pocket, on a third of the gas our suv slurps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
    Now you all have me considering getting a bike for my midlife crisis.

I can see the sensibility of it for photographic trips, in a way. I hesitate to take our "family car" down really nasty roads, worried I will break it in some inopportune place. A dual-sport bike could get more places, with less risk to the pocket, on a third of the gas our suv slurps.
    One think to remember about rough road riding is the gravity pull of the ground increases with the roughess of the road. Oh and its best done with a riding partner to help pickup the bike and fix flats.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    I like riding, but never try to use large format when doing so. I instead pack a small digital and sometimes (used to be always) a 35mm SLR. I enjoy the ride and do a little scouting for images if possible.
    Ron:

I see you may be the only one to agree with my original post.

I sense a bit too much "airhead" nonsense in this thread.

Motorcycles are motorcycles and a d@m lot of fun. But "airhead" nonsense to consider them for LF photography field trips in my opinion. And rationalizing with 40mpg, or planning to ride a road-bike into 4WD off-road territory is just plain ridiculous.

A good newer car will get close to this mileage and give you a lot more carrying power and safety on the way.

My suggestion is to invest in a good quality trail-bicycle. Strap it to the back of your "get there" 4-wheel vehicle. Park the vehicle in a safe place nearby and bicycle-in the rest of the way to where you need to go. I can carry most of my 4x5 kit in a backpack... and would probably do the same (albeit with a few less lenses) if I were doing 8x10.

But if you're trying to convince me (a more than 40-year experienced motorcycle rider) that your new "mule" as you say is great for photo-ops... frankly you're just not very convincing. And your "airhead" posting buddies aren't helping you see clearly.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Scott Davis

If you want a bike for off-road photo exploration, THIS is what you need...

http://www.imz-ural.com/taiga/

Sidecar, two wheel drive. Built like a T-34 tank.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    If you want a bike for off-road photo exploration, THIS is what you need...

http://www.imz-ural.com/taiga/

Sidecar, two wheel drive. Built like a T-34 tank.
    Sure looks like it's built like a tank.

But I still vote against. Just not a safe and sensible way to go.

Here's a much better suggestion.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Scott Davis

But... but... but... they even come equipped with their own accessory extractor shovels!

I used to carry my 4X5 gear in a trailer behind my Honda Goldwing...till it broke down. Have been trying to figure a way to adapt a trailer-hitch to my Suzuki SV650 (kind of a bare-bones sport bike). The Goldwing got about 40mpg, the Suzuki gets 55 around town. The trailer would be a necessity since my 4X5 is long gone and I now shoot 8X10.

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Ron:

I see you may be the only one to agree with my original post.

I sense a bit too much "airhead" nonsense in this thread.

Motorcycles are motorcycles and a d@m lot of fun. But "airhead" nonsense to consider them for LF photography field trips in my opinion. And rationalizing with 40mpg, or planning to ride a road-bike into 4WD off-road territory is just plain ridiculous.

A good newer car will get close to this mileage and give you a lot more carrying power and safety on the way.

My suggestion is to invest in a good quality trail-bicycle. Strap it to the back of your "get there" 4-wheel vehicle. Park the vehicle in a safe place nearby and bicycle-in the rest of the way to where you need to go. I can carry most of my 4x5 kit in a backpack... and would probably do the same (albeit with a few less lenses) if I were doing 8x10.

But if you're trying to convince me (a more than 40-year experienced motorcycle rider) that your new "mule" as you say is great for photo-ops... frankly you're just not very convincing. And your "airhead" posting buddies aren't helping you see clearly.

Bob G.
    Dude, he's not trying to convince you. Why are you trying to convince everyone else it's a bad choice? I used to take my BMW R80 on some rough roads I'd never take a minivan on. To each his own. Trying to discuss the rationale of having a motorcycle for LF is pretty ironic, considering that LF is so eclectic and unpopular. Some people do some obscure things because it's....different. Let him have his fun. I think I'll get a hang glider to shoot aerial LF wetplate....

Here's my new mule. It's not a freeway machine, for sure, but it has other charms and advantages over real motorcycles. I don't need a license or insurance, I can park anywhere in Seattle RZP areas without a permit, I get about 100mpg, and I can park it in my kitchen when I'm out of town. I want to build/adapt a little bicycle-type trailer to haul my gear.

Consulting the pineal gland

Trying to drive a 40mpg economy car down NM dirt roads isn't practical and certainly isn't economical. Within a half hour drive of my home there are only 3 paved roads and one is pretty rough. It might be practical for others, but not for me in the rural South West.

My biggest problems offroad in NM are where to pull it out of the "road" (dry grasses and sage are a fire hazard with a hot exhaust), and how to turn it around when the going gets too rough. I probably wouldn't choose a heavy BMW airhead, but a 250 dual sport will go places my Rangie won't (and vice versa).

A light dual sport could be turned around within its own length if unmounted. If it breaks someplace nasty, it could be rolled out or wrenched into pieces and carried to a pickup for rescue. A broken SUV might have to be fixed in situ, and the vehicle would be subject to vandalism if left blocking the way.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything. A motorcycle off-road is more dangerous than an economy car on the highway. Mountain biking and horse riding are pretty dangerous too. I had a friend who died hiking the AT. Photojournalists run towards danger and sometimes die for it. I see no reason that people can't safely balance the danger they choose to face with whatever adventure they seek.