Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cambo sc lens and board combo

Re: cambo sc lens and board combo

That lens does not have a shutter, which may or may not be a problem for you.

From what I understand, the aperture diaphragm is awkward to use when not on a Sinar camera. No idea whether that 82mm board will accept the DB mount lens.

If you are set on using wide angle on 4x5, on a budget, you might be best off selling the Cambo and getting a different camera. KEH has a Sinar F+ for $235, which would be much better suited to wide angle. It's all in the way the standards are put together. There is also a Sinar A1 for $225, don't know what the difference between those models is.

(edit: this is not to imply you can use the DB mount lens on the F+ I mentioned... I think you need a Sinar shutter accessory to use that type of lens.)

Quote Originally Posted by thefilmguy2009 View Post
    No, and no. As I mentioned before, the lens is in the DB mount, which does not include a shutter and is designed to work only with the Sinar shutter system. You'd have to mount the lens into a shutter, which would cost you more than buying a lens already in a shutter. And the hole in the lens board is for a much larger shutter or barrel lens that mounts using a flange rather than a retaining ring.

Try this lens:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Form...99117896N?r=FE

or this lens:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Form...990984990?r=FE

using this lens board:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Form...991043260?r=FE

or this board:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Calumet-Cambo-Le...item3a650e8785

Both of the lenses are in shutters (the Caltar in a "press" shutter, which is fine). Both of the shutters are No. 0 shutters, requiring about a 34mm hole in the lens board. Both of the boards have that size hole. They are a bit more expensive, but they have shutters. Both lenses will be excellent performers, and KEH has a return policy if they aren't.

To get the most out of the lens, you'll also need a bag bellows. The ones they show on KEH don't look right to me--call them to confirm it will work on an SC. I don't see any on ebay right now, but that seems unusual--they do appear frequently enough, and for a whale of a lot less than what I paid Calumet for a new one. But you can use the lens with limited movements even with the standard bellows. Tilting and swinging will be easier than shifting, which might bind the bellows and cause a wrinkle. You'll see when you put it together. Short lenses like the 90 impose a few more mechanical demands on the camera.

Rick "wondering if you live near another LF photographer who can show you the ropes" Denney

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I should see if there are some LF photogs nearby as I am definitely slow on the uptake with LF.

If you do stick with the Cambo for wide angle, you will find that the 20'' rail gets in your way a lot.

I made a custom short rail out of 25mm aluminum bar stock, and have an extra if you'd be interested. I'll let you have it if you're in the US and will pay $5 shipping.

awldune, thanks so much for the offer. right now I'm weighing the options. I can't get the scratch together for lens right away. I'll let you know if I find a 90 within my price range.

IMHO the KEH prices on LF lenses are on the steep side at the moment. Sometimes you will get lucky with a BGN lens.

On Ebay, you might grab an Angulon 90/6.8 for ~$120, which doesn't have much coverage for movements but would get you started. You should be able to get *something* for under $250. I found a 65/8 Super-Angulon less than a year ago for around $200. That's another lens that doesn't have a ton of room for movements though.

edit: You DEFINITELY are not using a 65mm on the Cambo.

Quote Originally Posted by thefilmguy2009 View Post
    awldune, thanks so much for the offer. right now I'm weighing the options. I can't get the scratch together for lens right away. I'll let you know if I find a 90 within my price range.
    You might stay on the lookout for a press-camera 90. They were not intended to provide movements and they barely cover the 4x5 format, but that will save you from having to worry about the bag bellows. Two examples of these are the Schneider Angulon and the Wollensak Wide-Field Raptar (also known as the Graflex Wide-Field Optar). Neither will be as sharp as a Super Angulon or a Grandagon in the corners, and you'll have to stop them down at least to f/22. But they will make great pictures. They tend to be cheap--often well under $200.

Another option is to start getting some experience with a normal lens, and save the short lens for later. 135-180mm lenses can be quite inexpensive if you keep an eye out. I paid $160 for a 180/5.6 Schneider Symmar Convertible, and $200 for a Sinaron N (Rodenstock Sironar) 210/5.6 that is multicoated.

Something like this:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Form...000610310?r=FE

KEH's selection of lenses in the 150 range is rather limited at the moment--you have to keep checking.

I know what you are going through, though. I used a Wide-Field Optar for a long time because I could not afford a Super Angulon. I finally bought the 90/5.6 Super Angulon--probably for four times what a used one costs now in real dollars. It was worth the wait. But sometimes you just have to be patient if you are looking for popular stuff on a tight budget. It does come up, and then when does you have to jump at it. Being prepared to jump takes a little experience, though, so put something on that camera and go make photographs.

Rick "tossing out ideas" Denney

I'm checking ebay now and have a bid out on a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm 8.0 4x5 lens in Copal 0 with a small chip toward the outside. If I can get it cheap enough then I'm in business. Otherwise, I'll take the advice and shoot for a more regular lens in my price range. It's more of a hunt now so I'm not selling the cambo soon.

The best camera out there, is the one in your hands - learn something about LF by using the one you have. You might - or in my case, will - make mistakes - it's part of the learning curve, but it doesn't have to be expensive if you don't have the money. Just use what you have, learn how to get the best out of it that you can. Have fun with it. I put money into lenses and film for the most part. I have one new 4x5 on the way, 1 very nice, used camera that I got at a good price, one used but in good condition field camera and a beat to hell 8 x 10 that needs a total re-working to be useable. But, I also have lenses for all of them, and I can transfer lenses pretty much as I like - good glass is, well, good to have. But like rdenny said, it's not a marriage, and it will throw some curves at you, but not dishes if you decide to sell.

Here is a (link) chart detailing the hole sizes required for most of the shutters you will encounter.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ole_sizes.html