Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is My Pyrocat HD Bad?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Is My Pyrocat HD Bad?

've had this for over a year. The A bottle is cinched in the middle indicating that no further air has entered the plastic bottle and oxidized the developer. But, when I pour the 1:1:100 mix into water, the water turns momentarily greenish then clear then starts getting red-muddy. Is this stuff still good? I threw it out because I wasn't sure, rinsed the tray and put in PMK to do a few negs. The spent PMK developer looked really greenish-muddy compared to the deep blood brown-red I usually get. I guess it reacted with the Pyrocat HD residue even though I rinsed the tray? Can one use a single tray for both processes with wash/rinse in between alternate uses or should one use dedicated trays? Thank you!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Is My Pyrocat HD Bad?

Richard I have used my HD for a little over a years and it has worked well. I keep it in Brown Glass bottles out of the light. I'd use the one year as a standard. I mix it from scratch so it is less expensive that way. I'd use separate trays just to be sure.

As you use Pyrocat HD, the mixture does turn to a dark color as it begins to oxidize. I use mine in a Jobo Expert tank when developing, so I don't know how fast it changes color.

Edit: I should say it is dark when it is spent/oxidized. Sorry!

Diane
    Last edited by Diane Maher; 10-Apr-2011 at 07:57.

Plastic soda bottles are fairly air permeable, so I probably wouldn't trust the stock solution after a year. The Pyrocat-P working solution does turn wine colored even when fresh, but I've never seen the original Pyrocat-HD tint like that at any dilution, unless spent.

It sounds like you might be mixing A and B directly together, then pouring that into the water. I usually add the A component to the water, rinsing the grad thoroughly before adding the B part.

Has the water turned momentarily greenish for you when you first pour the developer in?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Plastic soda bottles are fairly air permeable, so I probably wouldn't trust the stock solution after a year. The Pyrocat-P working solution does turn wine colored even when fresh, but I've never seen the original Pyrocat-HD tint like that at any dilution, unless spent.
    I guess I better mix fresh!

It sounds like you might be mixing A and B directly together, then pouring that into the water.
    Yes, is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Has the water turned momentarily greenish for you when you first pour the developer in?
    I've never noticed that, no. I do use a light gray tray for development though, not sure if that would mask a greenish tint or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Yes, is that bad?
    That seems like it would likely accelerate the oxidation/exhaustion, not sure if it's an absolute no-no, but I haven't risked it.

Octogenarian

Sounds like you are contaminating the A and B solutions.

Do not mix parts A and B directly together in the same measuring device.

For example, add 10ml part A to 500ml water in a measuring device. Add 10ml part B to 500ml water in a separate measuring device. Pour the two 500ml solutions into the developing tank to make 1,020ml of working solution.

At that point, a light color change to olive green is normal.

Thanks Gem...

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Sounds like you are contaminating the A and B solutions.
    Do not mix parts A and B directly together in the same measuring device.
    For example, add 10ml part A to 500ml water in a measuring device. Add 10ml part B to 500ml water in a separate measuring device. Pour the two 500ml solutions into the developing tank to make 1,020ml of working solution.
    At that point, a light color change to olive green is normal.

I did not know about that
    How does the contamination of the concentrate takes place when pouring into the same device?
    I can understand it for Divided Pyrocat where residue of A could be left to contaminate the working solution B but I cannot see how pouring out of a bottle would contaminate the concentrate in that bottle.
    I am very interested as I have Pyrocat HD in glycol in two Brown bottles that I am hoping to keep good for a year or until finished. Shipping Pyrocat (or other chemicals) from the US to Canada is always a little bit expansive.

Thanks for the tip

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II