Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Film holder protocol?

ARS KC2UU

Re: Film holder protocol?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    My process is white=unexposed. When a holder has been used on both sides, it goes into the dust bag slide end down. This separates available holders from used ones if I put one back in the wrong end of the bag, and tends to ensure that the slides don't get pulled by accident. I like the idea of leaving the flap open when empty, especially since my holders live in dust bags most of the time.
    I keep individual holders inside individual zip-lock plastic bags at all times... except when they are in the camera or in my changing tent. For transporting I use small 6-pack size coolers and ten or so bagged filmholders fit easily in a cooler.

The bags I have are 6x9.75 inches and 4x5 filmholders are a perfect fit.

With this technique they virtually never get dirty even if they are out in the field with me all day.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I do this too!

Steve
    Something about this technique kicks-in my industrial engineering training and just simply "doesn't look good."

Perhaps it works for you but overall it's probably not necessary if you keep your holders in zip-lock bags to begin with. Simply label the bags and there's no need for this routine.

Moreover, if you are not keeping them in zip-locks then the open ends are inviting damages from handling and opening another area for dust to get in.

My 2-cents.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    Light = unexposed/clean/virgin

Steve
    No wait a minute... as a human factors engineer with decades of experience evaluating the ways humans behave and function, I'm simply not seeing the connection you're making between the words "light," "unexposed," "clean," and "virgin." I sense this is a stretch.

Now admittedly I haven't seen any experimental psychology studies done on this subject of "metal side vs black-painted" side of film holders. My hypothesis here is that virtually no-one outside the realm of LF photography ever pondered the subject or cared enough to do an academic study.

But knowing what I know about population stereotypes and how they evolve, it seems to me that the concept of "black-painted side" would be more often associated with "lack of light" than "silver" or "white-painted side" would. In fact that was the exact association I made when I first started doing LF photography and loading film holders.

I never asked anybody which side should be used for which because I never knew or cared if there was a conventional wisdom about which side to use for which.

I do see where the existing conventional wisdom originated that others have mentioned above... i.e., with the association of "black-painted side" with the outcome of a processed negative going black. But to me that was never considered since I never did negatives until recently.

So to reiterate, my hypothesis is that most people would associate black with concepts like dark of night, lack of light, etc. and vice versa.

Bob G.

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    No wait a minute... as a human factors engineer with decades of experience evaluating the ways humans behave and function...

Bob G.
    I am not human (serious angst)? Or perhaps I am simply lacking in factors...

Steve

(Sorry...could not resist...)

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Best thing to do with unloaded film holders is to zip them together inside a large ziplock bag labeled "Unloaded Film Holders."

It's what I've done since day one and it keeps them clean and organized when not in use.

Just common sense. Can't figure why anyone would do anything else.

Bob G.
    After getting tired of checking holders this is exactly what I started doing.

Roger

White/Silver = LOADED and UnExpsosed
    Black = Don't Shoot. (could be exposed, or empty)
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

hacker extraordinaire

When I first started I had no idea and operating in a vacuum, I decided to use black for unexposed and white for exposed. I learned the convention as soon as possible and switched to the popular convention, but it goes to show that there's nothing really fundamental or obvious about white=unexposed.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

white unexposed.

black exposed

I do what the majority do - white = unexposed. Black = exposed or empty. I don't have any problem keeping track of which are empty and which are unexposed.

BTW, welcome neighbor. A few of us (well, three so far) have been trying to get a local shoot together but schedules are just not meshing so far.

joseph

Black side- tarnished silver, silver after exposure.

Your mnemonic may vary...