Thread: Hello from Manitoba

Hello from Manitoba

This is a belated introduction, in a way. I was active here three or four years back under a different handle. I'm back again under my real name for another try. I see what folks mean when they refer to this forum as group therapy.

I got my hands on some very nice gear back then, before Ebay degenerated so dramatically. Life's little circumstances have prevented me from using any of it up till now. That's so ridiculous that I'm trying to break the block any way I can.

Meeting some Manitoba LF people would be a big help! I haven't noticed anyone yet, though Alberta seems to have quite a few. I particularly need to know where to go for film, paper and chemistry, to get the best deal and service. Not that there are that many Canadian possibilities, but still enough to make me wonder who's worth bothering with and whom to pass by.

Like many here, I'm a geezer, 66 years old. I learned LF as a high school kid, shooting a Crown Graphic on a local daily newspaper and humping a Burke & James 4x5 heavy wooden folder around the back roads. In younger days I shot everything from 8mm Minox to 8x10, with a lot of 35mm and 6x6cm in between, but the LF fascination was what has stuck with me in the end.

Are there any forum members here from Manitoba or even eastern Saskatchewan? I surely could use some fellowship and encouragement. Getting started again is going to be a challenge; but I'll say more about that in the other forums.

Re: Hello from Manitoba

Check out http://www.darkroomcentral.ca They carry some 4x5 film and are based in Winnipeg. Welcome back.

Welcome back to group therapy! Glad you got back on track!

Hi and welcome back. I'm from Saskatchewan, but find myself out here in Coquitlam in the Lower Rainland now.

Welcome back to the forum! let's continue to share some ideas.

Hi, and a big welcome from the left coast.

Thanks for the welcome, gang!

Vick Vickery, surely you should be from Vicksburg -- how'd you wind up in Gulfport?
    I cut my LF photographic teeth humping a heavy B&J wooden folder over hill and dale in Vicksburg National Military Park, and in Port Gibson, Rodney, Windsor Plantation, and similar picturesque spots.

You guys in Gulfport sure got a rough deal from Hurricane Katrina and the insurance companies -- not to mention that final kick in the pants from BP. Just don't seem fair what you folks have had to suffer in the past five years.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
    You guys in Gulfport sure got a rough deal from Hurricane Katrina and the insurance companies -- not to mention that final kick in the pants from BP. Just don't seem fair what you folks have had to suffer in the past five years.
    and to think... hurricane season starts next month!

Yeah, Katrina was kinda rough...my house flooded, my mother's house (on the beach) was completely distroyed, and a rental I own had a lot of roof damage; not fun.

BP really wasn't too bad here...news media kinda ruined the tourest industry for awhile, but we're back pretty well and the seafood is fine...ate a bunch this weekend!

Hope this comming hurricane season isn't too bad...keeping fingers crossed!