Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Appalachian Trail in Virginia in April-May

Re: Backpacking Appalachian Trail in Virginia in April-May

Taking over the thread, but here is one of my favorite images from my NZ bike tour:

Truman Cove
    West Coast, South Island
    Gowland 4x5, Caltar II-N 150mm/5,6
    T-Max100 in HC-110

Every picture tells a story, don't it...this one was taken after a long drought of about three weeks -- wet weather, stuck in my tent for a week in the rain with the flu, a bad knee, etc etc. I rode my bike a mile or so from the campground at the Pancake Rocks (Punakaiki) to this place and as I turned off the road to the trail head to get to this cove, I found a dead weasel -- actually just its head and one front leg.

I carried RK (Road Kill) down to the cove with me and photographed it several times -- why? Just to break the drought. I have never done more than make contacts of those 4x5's. After that I made the image below (just a scan of a straight contact print.)

For those who are interested (anyone? LOL!), some stats. With the bike fully loaded (~80lbs of gear), I rode 2000 miles in 5 months, averaging riding every third day and about 45km per day ridden. I went to photograph, not necessarily to cover distance.

Apo-Heespharm-N MC

I would get a gowland pocket view with 3-4 film holders and a changing bag with a box of film should way like 5 lbs max... The a small 150mm grandagon very small light weight and capable

Quote Originally Posted by Heespharm View Post
    I would get a gowland pocket view with 3-4 film holders and a changing bag with a box of film should way like 5 lbs max... The a small 150mm grandagon very small light weight and capable
    While that is my 4x5 kit, the Nagaoka 4x5 field camera is just a few ounces heavier and is a fine camera -- and perhaps easier to pack and use than the monorail Gowland.

Thanks for sharing, Vaughn.
    And I wish you hadn't said that about the Rolleiflex. It is pulling me so much in that direction! A bit heavier than the 4x5 (2 lb 11 oz for my 2.8C) but much less overall gear & hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    All too soon I will have to restrict myself to just taking the Rolleiflex!LOL!

I know, I know. I have been looking at new backpacks -- my large-volume Gregory Cassin is 27 years old and the metal hardware on it is failing. I can no longer carry the 85 pound packs I did 25 years ago, so I am looking at the smaller volume Gregories (such as the Baltoro 75). In theory, I could carry a 60 pound pack -- that is the weight of my 8x10 system I day-hike with. But the reality is that I would enjoy it much more with 45 pounds, which I would hardly feel.

This Spring/summer I hope to get back into the wilderness I had worked in for 12 years (1979 to 1991) -- mostly as wilderness ranger and trail builder. But I have to decide why I am going...to photograph and document it, or just to experience the Wilderness again.

Somehow, the idea of keeping everything simple seems to be growing on me. No stove, no tent, no major camera equipment. And spending a lot of time off the trails -- I spent years on those trails -- packing mules, swinging a pick-axe and pulling on a cross-cut saw. Time to explore more rather than just revisit.

The Rolleiflex could be a good compromise for me. I have made tiny platinum prints and carbon prints from medium format negs -- intimate little prints that could match how I feel for the place. I even have a Zeiss 6x9 folder I could bring along -- run some color in the Rollei and B&W in the folder. Dang -- there I go complicating things again! LOL! Actually, rather than color, I would probably run B&W in both -- and develop the films differently -- The Rollei for silver gelatin printing and folder for the alt process printing.

Once I build myself back up, I could think about taking the 4x5 (or the 5x7) -- or take one of those set-ups when my boys go with me, and have them carry the extra weight! What's the sense of having three 14-year-olds if you can't get any work out of them!

Whatever you take with you, enjoy your time in the woods! If that means having the 4x5 with you, go for it!

Vaughn

Medium format with a light 6x6 fixed lens TLR or 6x9 folder just makes so much more sense... overall less complex and bulky, loading issues are resolved and the weight of a changing tent/bag is saved. Even a relatively heavy Fuji 6x9 Texas Leica still puts you ahead, and carefully used is capable of stunning quality.

The other big savings could come from not using a tripod but perhaps using a combination of beanbags, clamps, and hiking poles, etc. Since the tripods you're suggesting are all short to begin with, resting the camera on natural objects isn't going to put it that much lower (just move the stump or rock as needed).

A Rolleicord can be half the weight, just as sharp, more reliable (film transport is simple), and a lot less expensive than a Rolleiflex. Some of the German folders can also be flyweight.

Personally I'd be looking at Bessas, old or new versions depending on your budget.

I do have several rolls of 120 film from the wilderness taken 20 or so years ago (I did not trust the mules with my LF equipment!). But when one is contact printing, the more film real estate the better! LOL!

My 6x9 Zeiss folder is a hefty little package!

Take an 11x14 and go only five miles, you'll see more and come back with great images! Seriously, I could never understand why people want to set distances to hike or peaks to bag. I find the slower I go the more I see. I take my 4x5 Toyo AX on ten to fourteen day trips that rarely are more than 70 miles, and I'm now using horses!
    The important thing is to have fun and stay dry.
    Thad Gerheim

It's all about living life to the fullest. Do whatever works for you, but get out there!

In my case a friend asked me to join him, hiking to Trail Days in Damascus, VA. Long days, adding up to decent mileage are pretty standard on this part of the AT. It's not about walking fast, but walking long. I've averaged 1 mph on many parts of the AT because I stop a lot, eat, talk, take photos, space out, etc, and the trail can be very rough going.

I realize that a lot of people are not capable or willing to do long distance hikes. That's OK. I'd doing it now because I may not be able to do it in a few years. I would never recommend this sort of thing to others because it can involve a lot of discomfort. Low lows and high highs rather than the mundane sameness of modern life.

I'm back from the trip. We did the miles as scheduled, 500 in 27 days. Not bad for old guys on a tough trail, climbing up and down mountains all day.
    I carried the 4x5 kit for the first 4 days in Shenandoah NP. The load was manageable, but I had only a short time in the evening for photos. Shot maybe 15 sheets.
    I dropped off the 4x5 and picked up a Rollei 35SE. Carried it for 9 days or so then sent the whole photo kit home from Pearisburg and completed the hike without a camera. I was frustrated that I didn't have time to shoot photos correctly (slowly, that is) so I gave up the whole game this time around.
    My conclusions are that it is possible to backpack with 4x5, but only do it if the purpose of the trip is photography, and sufficient time will be available at the times when light is good. Good B&W subject matter on the AT was, for me, rather difficult to find. Monotonous long green tunnel day after day, and lighting usually was harsh or very dim.
    Perhaps those dang little digi-snappers have a place in this world after all. (Alas).