Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petzvals aren't for Portraits

Re: Petzvals aren't for Portraits

Here's 'Upon Reflection' w/this version from my Petzval w/the rear elements screwed away from each, and in this config I consider it definitely putting out the kind of softness as my other soft focus/portrait lenses such the Kodak Portrait, my Velostigmat II(w/limiting screw removed) and some other glass, the question of the difference is one of degree.

In this mode it still may not be a Vesta, Vitax, or Dallmeyer, but it's trying. One thing is for sure, w/o me srewing out the rear elements from each other, it's still VERY fast, and you can obviously still take portraits, again the difference between what you get from the lenses original config and screwing the rear elements away from each other being a difference in the degree of softness.

This goes along w/the original point, and contrary to the way my ad and I have characterized in this thread, I've studied all this, from James Petzval, his life, to the definition of a 'zero Petzval sum', read up 1000 times CC Harrison's good stuff and everything else I could find on Petzvals for quite a long time.

My Petzval lens ISN'T a Vesta, Vitax, or Dallmeyer, and if the expectation from somebody considering buying a portrait lens is that he's getting a certain degree of softness/or something approaching a Vista or a Vitax, then my lens isn't that kind of lens(in its orgiginal config) even though it is STILL a Petzval, STILL fast, and can still be used on portraiture.

This of course is why the Vestas and Dallmeyers fetch more bucks and it's because of the difference in degree in softness, not the consideration of the creation of the Petzval by James Petzval resulting in a faster lens photographers could take advantage in using this lens for portraiture.

I would knock my own lens as a portrait lens in its original config(I get a portrait lens, my expectation is that is has a degree of softness), so that doesn't mean somebody else can say because of that that I'm saying that 'Petzvals aren't for Portraits'.

Yes, the Petzval took us to the faster lens for Portraiture, that's a given, it's used differently now in many cases, for the transition from fairly sharp in the center to the 'swirlies', I am aware of that, and was aware of that when I posted my ad.

I guess this also boils down to what someone's concept of what a portrait lens is, regardless of whether the lens happens to be a Petzval or not
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Another aside re: the comment about salting my ad w/my comparing the Kodak to the Pinkhams.

When you actually shoot w/these lenses, the one thing you learn is that they can change/exchange personalities. There are a few lenses that can produce imagery comparable to the Pinkhams.

I uploaded a comparison between the Kodak and Pinkham VQ to drive home the fact that the Kodak is EVERY BIT as good as the Pinkhams(you could debate how it stacks up against the SA Doublet III which I consider the top of the SF foodchain).

Both lenses are great lenses, ONLY difference, if you're lucky, you pay hundreds for one, thousands for the other.

One lens I paid $275.00 for, can produce imagery that is every bit as striking as the Kodak and the Pinkhams, and like many folks, I unleashed its greatness by taking off the set screw off the front SF adjustment ring.

The images I'm uploading here from this lens I consider JUST as satisfying to me as anything I ever did w/any of my Pinkhams.

This ain't sprinkling salt, just plenty of hot sauce.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer View Post
    The harshness and abruptness in the wording of who bids is not for the good folks, it's for the 'crooks' where I've worded this nicely and delciately and they still bougt my gear though a US proxy, contacted me from overseas, telling me that they were on an oil rig and I wouldn't be getting any money for a month, and after a month, they tell me the perfect gear that I sent them was damaged and that they'll hold up my money unlesss I agree to change the price to HALF of the winning bid. They also make it clear that if I don't do that, I'll get a negative.

I was two months battling this out on ebay and paypal, so I wish I could know who to trust and to sell to but I can't, so I directed some harshness to the crooks, not to good folks, I wish I know who to trust overseas

hi Jonathan.
    Just a note:

I was sitting, looking and reading your add on Ebay, and then suddenly you started "yelling" at me for being located overseas!

I was reading that I am a potential crook - dishonest - not to be trusted...
    I'm sorry, but that's rude in my book.

How can you know if I was bidding by proxy? If I have an agreament with an american friend (and still being a good boy in paying with no questions asked), how could you know?

I have seen a lot of ebay statements saying "I don't send overseas. period"...

Even though I still don't understand why this seller doesn't want to sell for a potential higher price, I don't get offended.

the use of capital letters puts me off.

I just would like to know who to trust overseas, you say.

Are all americans trustworthy?
    I would like to know whether the location overseas automatically makes us potential crooks..

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I have seen a lot of ebay statements saying "I don't send overseas. period"...

Even though I still don't understand why this seller doesn't want to sell for a potential higher price, I don't get offended.
    I don't sell much on eBay, but my wife has in the past. She prefers to sell to customers in US/Canada not because of any trust issues, but rather because all those those European tax/import rules seem very difficult to deal with. It's nothing personal.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I don't sell much on eBay, but my wife has in the past. She prefers to sell to customers in US/Canada not because of any trust issues, but rather because all those those European tax/import rules seem very difficult to deal with. It's nothing personal.

Kent in SD

But that's "my problem" isn't it?

My country is a thief! yes - high taxes and custom fees (except for antiques (100+years - then it is free....), but again, that I know and count on....

How can it be a sellers problem? (as long as we still consider me honest..)

he only has a few words in capital about overseas shipping.

jonathan, if you exclude the rest of the world they can not see or bid on the item.

BUT as the dollar continues to drop my overse3as sales have gone way up. i have shipped more overseas since jan. than i can believe.

anyway. too bad on how poor old jonathan is getting bashed.

eddie

ps. i know which is the pinkham and which is the kodak in the above photos.... lol!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post

But that's "my problem" isn't it?

My country is a thief! yes - high taxes and custom fees (except for antiques (100+years - then it is free....), but again, that I know and count on....

How can it be a sellers problem? (as long as we still consider me honest..)
    Again, this is more my wife's deal, but even I wasn't aware that the seller didn't have to deal with all the VAT stuff etc. She's mostly been selling inexpensive stuff leftover from an estate sale, but I'll be selling some camera gear when the weather warms up a bit more, later this month. I will go by buyer feedback. (But will still likely rule out anyone from Nigeria. ) There's a few things I will probably just sell here. I have no problem selling to anyone here.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I think one reason Americans don't want to ship overseas is because of the US postal service's attempt to force people to use more expensive options. Plus Americans in general don't seem to understand customs procedures because we rarely have to deal with it as a buyer or consumer. In my opinion, the postal service is trying to confuse people so they automatically default to the easiest (and most expensive) method.

For example, if you use an international flat-rate priority box, the postage might be $35, but you can print it at home, get a small label, and even get a discount on postage, and the postman picks it up.

If you ship in a non-flat rate priority box, the postage might be $25, but you need a special plastic envelope for the label, you get multiple copies to put in the envelope, and the instructions are practically non-existent and unclear. BUT, you can print at home and ship if the box is large enough to hold the giant plastic envelope you have to use AND you have the special envelope.

If you ship 1st class int'l package, the shipping might only be $12 BUT, you have to physically take the package to the post office, hand-fill out a customs form, and physically hand it to a postal employee. No home shipping, no discounts, just queues and hassles but a far better deal for the buyer.

They also have limited tracking/confirmation options to the more expensive shipping options. They lose money hand over fist, and are obviously trying to raise the revenue-per-package rate they get.

Since I live in a very small town with no queue at the post office, I try to save buyers money by shipping international first class package, but it involves a risk if they used paypal and it doesn't get there, or they deny it got there.

Richard

all overseas packages need teh big plastic bag EXCEPT 1st class.

you can buy all the mail classes one way or another on line. you can do it through paypal with out having anyone buy something from you.

you can only add insurance to USPS.com overseas packages.

all teh supplies from USPS.com for mailing are free including t he boxes and the plastic bags mentioned earlier.

any box with a label affixed that has postage paid online can be given to any post office employee for mailing including your carrier or any other one. no need to wait on line. all the customs forms are done on line. all you do is drop it off at the PO.

using the PO is very very easy really. AND they have a PO in almost every zip code. i have two with in one mile and like 4-5 others with in 5 miles.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

See what I mean about confusion?

Possibly with Paypal you can get all mail classes, but not on USPS.com. If Paypal offers the same discounts, it might be worth looking at. Last time I looked, ages ago, they were more expensive for the same package.

You do NOT need the big plastic bag sort of customs/label on all but 1st class packages. I mis-typed when I said 1st class does need them instead of the newer carbonless multi-part form, BUT priority int'l that is not flat-rate from usps.com also needs them. Usps.com flat-rate int'l priority does NOT need them.

You can only add insurance/tracking to SOME usps.com overseas packages

Using the post office is NOT very, very easy. A 10 mile round trip to your post office adds at least several dollars to the cost to you to send it, and at least a half hour to your day. Maybe in NY you have one every mile but that is not the norm throughout the entire country. Surely not around here.

In any event, this probably should have been a separate thread since it really has nothing to do with the original post, and his reluctance to deal overseas seems based on his past experience with some buyers.

I have been shipping int'l priority packages at least bi-weekly overseas for nearly 10 years, and 1st class int'l for a couple of years. I do not sell on Ebay, so that might be a factor, but I've never had someone buy from me and try to rip me off. And I've never had a package get totally lost. Very slow, yes, but never lost.

Cheers, Richard