Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suitable for Framing

Suitable for Framing

I've playing with photography for about 15 years, and despite having a portfolio that I'm content with, I don't have much of anything that I would actually frame for display in my home. Perhaps my style of photography is vastly different than my taste in home decorating, or maybe I just don't think of photographs as art. My home is a 1927 English Tudor, so photographs seem to modern for me, but that is my perception.

Would you mind showing me what photographs you have framed to decorate your home, whether they be yours or a sampling of the Masters? Maybe if I see a photo of your homes, my "frame of reference" might be altered...

This is a recent photographs that I will likely frame, but family doesn't qualify as art to me...

Re: Suitable for Framing

Um, this looks like a 120 format photo...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    Um, this looks like a 120 format photo...
    It is. My question is is not format specific.

A 1927 English Tudor? Why not start doing albumen prints and hang those? If the printing process predates the house, it's hard to call it too modern for the house.

Quote Originally Posted by AF-ULF View Post
    A 1927 English Tudor? Why not start doing albumen prints and hang those? If the printing process predates the house, it's hard to call it too modern for the house.
    It isn't so much the type of print, as the typical subject matter and style of photographs that seems too modern. I'm wanting to be proven wrong, so what photographs have you hung on your walls?

Format aside, I definitely think she's art!

It's really entirely up to you what you choose to hang/display in your own home. Sounds like you may be caring a bit much about the judgements of others.

But, I'll answer your question. I only hang the best in my home – my photographs. You can see precisely (digital representations aside) what on my site.

This is one of my office walls:

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Format aside, I definitely think she's art!

It's really entirely up to you what you choose to hang/display in your own home. Sounds like you may be caring a bit much about the judgements of others.

But, I'll answer your question. I only hang the best in my home – my photographs. You can see precisely (digital representations aside) what on my site.
    Ben,

Thanks for the compliment and reply. I really like your work and your website.

Perhaps I am worrying too much, but more trying to be convinced that my portfolio is adequate wall decorations. Again, I'm proud of my portfolio, and really want to use my own stuff, but my photographic style seems to conflict with my home decorating. To better illustrate the point, here are some of my digital works and scanned photographs from my field camera:

More can be seen at Photonet.

Nothing wrong with being eclectic and displaying a variety of photography/art styles.

I have little of my own stuff on the wall, at least compared to what I produce. It's not a like/dislike thing or a confidence thing or a self-image thing. It's more matching the metaphor that the cobblers children have no shoes.

I don't have a portfolio assembled, but what I hang on my wall differs greatly from what I'd put in a portfolio.

I usually bring an assortment of prints out of the darkroom to make room for more to dry. My wife sometimes take an 8x10 family photo out of the bunch and puts it in a cheap frame on display. For digital, we have an overwhelming volume where there are so many nice kid photos, we can't choose just one, so once in a while she'll do a blurb book of my/our photos.

Most prominent on our walls are things by local artists in the main living areas. 2 wyeth prints, an old poster for a local festival, a local artist's painting, one of my photos, and have also framed a colorful painting my 5yo daughter has done. I've got a 4x5 cyanotype of my daughters on the fridge.

In my office I have a poster of painted race cars for the goodwood festival of speed, and a poster showing a square B&W photo by Lucinda Lewis of Briggs Cunningham D-type and E-type.

Upstairs, I have a John Paul Caponigro photo, a baby photo I took, a Peter Ralston photo. I used to have one of mine, a color abstract, but I took it to be exhibited instead of hanging on my wall.

What to frame and hang is a highly personal decision. Display prints that have meaning for you. Why limit yourself to some dubious theory of what counts as Art?

I've been photographing seriously for about 20 years. In that time I've framed four of my prints, one of my oldest daughter, and one of each of my three dogs, all sadly passed away. All of them are 8x10ish silver gelatin prints that hang along with a George Provost landscape in our entry hallway. My daughter has two prints hanging in her room, one from Murray Minchin, and one from Jim Becia, both members of this forum.

Of course I have tons of photographs, including at least 100 by other photographers, but I keep those in portfolio boxes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by mike_gray View Post
    Oh I don't like hang picture on wall. I like fixed picture.

Commercial photographer
    Huh? I wish I knew whether to be offended at the criticism or not. But at least l had balls enough to answer the OP's question in the manner he requested. The point is I hang what I like and this thread is not a critique of my work. In the case that I am offended, why don't you just take your bad manners and start your own critique discussion thread of my work, mike?