Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar F2 Too Heavy For Field Work

Re: Sinar F2 Too Heavy For Field Work

More seriously, it is possible to drag along a Sinar in a wheeled case, and then the weight is no issue. Getting mugged might be an issue, but in places where that is likely, I'd rather bring one of two things: A Crown Graphic, or a bodyguard. Or both.

The Sinar packs into a case more efficiently than most monorails, and as efficiently as some field cameras.

Rick "who uses a rolling mobile office case for his Sinar" Denney

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Justin,

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
    Hey all, I have had my Sinar F2 (4"x5") for the better part of 6 months now and I find I get frustrated trying to drag it out through NYC to shoot. At this point I am not sure what to do to replace it, because the weight is most of the annoyance for me. Once I finally get it set up on a trtipod I find it a joy to photograph with large format cameras ...
    For me that's the critical bit ... what happens once one's camera's been set up. I haven't used a field camera but I am used to carrying around -- `transporting' -- a heavy, cold monorail. And yes, getting it into position is a pain, especially if one's short of time. ... But once it's set up then it's a pleasure, and often, I've found, a necessity. A couple of weeks ago was typical.

I was on the top of my truck trying to photograph the recently burnt out ruin of an old mill. The Land Rover was hard up against a temporary chain link fence with State Highway 1 a few inches to the other side. There were too many cars and trucks passing for me to feel comfortable standing behind the ground glass so I had to manipulate the beast and lock it down all from one side. I imagine that this would have been possible with a field camera but I can't imagine it being as convenient or quick. I just wanted to get the job done and to get back down. To me there's nothing more disconcerting than being buffeted around under the dark cloth by passing traffic

Anyway, although monorails can be a bit of a performance, they can also come into their own, actually making things easier and faster -- once one's set up.

Best,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

For what it's worth, I had the same issue with the transportation of my F-2, along with several lenses mounted the large Sinar boards. My solution was to keep the F-2 for assignments and situations that require large movements, but to compliment the Sinar, I bought a Wista VX. As someone mentioned, it does not weigh a lot less than the Sinar (6lbs vs. 8lbs?), but it does close into a compact box that is much easier to carry. The Wista can take a bag bellows and has geared rise on the lens standard (nice for architecture). The best thing is that I have mounted all most of my LF lenses to Wista/Technica boards, which are lighter, smaller and cheaper than Sinar boards, further decreasing the size and weight of the kit. The Wista boards can also be used with the Sinar via a Sinar/Technica adaptor board, so even the Sinar kit can be lighter and smaller due to the Wista boards.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Linhof View Post
    i use a small cart to carry sinar P8x10 to shoot my city...and enjoy the result. inside a city where transport means few dollars for a ride, i still shoot with 8x10" film. my lenses include 210 SA, 300,450 and 600mm
    I second that idea.

I purchased an inexpensive ($35) collapsible 2-wheel dolly from WalMart that I use to wheel my 4x5 Toyo ROBOS (12lbs) around town in. The ROBOS is in it's factory-fitted case which will also hold 3 - 4 lens, spot-meter, loupe, filters, cable release, focusing cloth...etc. The tripod (either an Manfrotto 475B with 329RC4 geared head or Gitzo 1348G with Arca Swiss z1-sp ball-head) rides on top of the case and two bungee cords holds everything in place. I carry the film holders (up to 12) in two F64 film holder cases ($25 each new) that have straps for carrying over your shoulder or loops to attach to a belt or pack.

With the dollie I can walk around town all day with ease pushing the cart using 3 fingers on a hand (I have 5 on each). In fact, I'll even use the dollie when walking around town with my MF camera's or Toyo Field camera packed away in a Lowepro AW Trekker. You have to be careful to arrange the pack's straps so that they don't drag on the ground but it makes walking around a lot easier than carrying everything on your back. Plus I imagine that you're less noticeable pushing a cart that wearing a backpack with tripod attached.

If you need to catch a public transit ride, the dollie and its wheels collapse flat to carry and you can board a bus or subway train carrying the cart with one hand and the camera case with the other and sling the tripod over your shoulder. No place to sit? No problem, sit on the case.

In sum, I have found it a lot more confortable using a dollie to transport my gear in town than using a backpack.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

The f2 is hard to beat for a combination of portability and versatility. Wooden folders
    are a slower to operate and nowhere near as convenient for things like architecture.
    I also like the f2 for long lens work; I currently have a 28" bellows on it. What causes
    the most weight is filmholders per se. Since I primarily shoot 8X10, I consider my f2 a
    lightweight camera! But for airline travel or longer backpacks into the mtns, I supplemented my gear with a little Ebony RW45, which will handle up to a 360mm lens
    without a tophat board. I have no regrets spending extra for an Ebony. But no way any small wooden camera is going to survive the abuse the Sinar has received over the
    years - stuff wears out, but then you just purchase a replacement component and its
    fixed almost instantly.

Yes, you should go to a field camera. As I've said before, in my years here I don't think I've ever heard anyone who works outside a studio say they wanted to switch from a field camera to a monorail because they wanted to use a heavier, more cumbersome, less portable camera. But I've seen at least a hundred posts from people who work in the field and want to switch from a monorail to a field camera. Contrary to what some here claim, all field cameras are not flimsy or wobbly and it's unfortunate that they pass that misinformation on to people who have never used a LF camera before.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Have you ever used a good monorail Brian? I know you've had Technikas, Ebonies, and a Chamonix but didn't you go back to a heavier metal Technika in the end?

Nobody is arguing that a Chamonix or Ebony or any of the quality wooden cameras won't get the job done. It's the perception that they are the only way to go that is the misinformation... and I'll stand by my claim that a good monorail is far simpler and faster for someone who uses camera movements -- you can see what you're doing and there are no limitations other than your lens's coverage.

A $300 Sinar F is stronger/steadier than a $$$$ Ebony.

And the lightest, most compact 4x5 cameras? They're monorails too, the Gowlands and Tohos....

Drew Wiley

Heck Brian, I've carried an f2 thousands of miles on foot over all kinds of terrain in all kinds of weather. It is a little more bulky than some folders but is also much faster to
    operate; and since a monorail is easier to balance on a tripod, if you combine that kind
    of wt factor to the equation, it probably comes out lighter than something like a Tecknika, which was considered by many as an ideal travel camera. Plus you can leave
    any lens you wish on a Sinar and just extend the bellows and pop the lens cap. It's
    built a lot tougher than my Ebony, and Ebony is as good as it gets in a folder. The
    wt difference is only 5 lbs, and that's with the long bellows and extra extensions on the Sinar - enough to matter on long treks where every pound counts, but hardly a
    significant factor on dayhikes or for urban use. I'll probably been out on some steep hills with the Sinar tomorrow, but only because I'm trying to conserve my 8x10 film for
    a trip in a week or two.

I thought I had found the perfect camera...a nice, small field camera that's still sturdy and precise. (A Wista 45VX, it'll be listed for sale soon.) But after using it for a while in urban situations I realized that it didn't have the flexibility I needed. Field cameras are very nice for many uses, but working in urban environments implies that architecture will be involved. And sometimes you may need more movements than a field camera allows.

I switched to a Technikardan, which folds like a field camera but operates like a monorail. And I don't think I could go back to a traditional field camera. The monorails are just so nice to use once they're set up. Something like the TK, an Arca Swiss or Toyo VX125 could suit you as they're monorails that are also compact. But alas they aren't cheap. The older TK (non-S) should be the cheapest of the three.

I can fit my camera, a few lenses and some film in a domke satchel, but more and more I've been using a Pelican 1510 case. It has wheels and I can stand on it when I want to get the camera higher. (It also locks and is great for travel, but you didn't mention that as a priority). I don't know if it would fit your Sinar kit, but perhaps some sort of wheeled case would work for you.

For me the choice comes down to what kind of work you are doing. Do you like to wander around aimlessly, explore the city and make some photos? Or are you scouting locations ahead of time, getting to know an area, then going out to shoot more deliberately? I'm not saying one kind of work is better, I enjoy both ways of working. But they call for different kits in my opinion.

If I wanted to wander around the city with lots of freedom and mobility, I'd probably go for a field camera and one or two lenses in a satchel bag. Otherwise I'd get a wheeled case for your Sinar.