I did not mean to start a round of Canham bashing. The DLC is a very good camera and a very innovative design. When I say it's not perfect, that's certainly not meant as an insult. I've used many top brand view cameras, and NONE of them are perfect for all of my needs. I currently use two cameras, a Linhof TK45S for general purpose field photography ("road kills" and short to moderate dayhikes) and a Toho for backpacking and longer dayhikes. If I could only own one camera, it would probably be the Canham DLC. For my needs, the TK45S is too heavy for backpacking and the Toho too limited for general purpose photography. The Canham is a good compromise between these two in terms of weight vs. functionality. So, you could say it took two cameras to replace the Canham.

Also, WRT to my comments about the Canham, I am only referring to MY PARTICULAR CAMERA. Mine was one of the first 12 DLCs made. I know there have been some improvements made (bellows sag strap, graduated scales) since my camera was made, and there are probably some more that I am not aware of. When I refer to things constantly coming loose (not OFF) on my Canham, I am referring to things that are held in place by set screws (knobs, levers). I believe Keith now uses either a different stype of set screw, or some type of locking compound (perhaps both) to prevent this. Again this may be isolated to very early production samples. I do need to send my Canham in for a much needed tune-up. I have neglected to do so (didn't want to be without it when it was my only camera, and haven't gotten around to it since). I reserve the right to make my final judgement until after Keith has had a chance to bring my camera up to current standards.

I do agree with Sergio's comments about the rear bellows frame falling out when switching the orientation of the back. However, rather than permanently attaching the frame to the body, some type of locking mechanism would be preferrable. I understand Keith now does offer a special wide angle bellows for this camera. So, for the heavy users of wide angle lenses, the bellows would still need to be changeable in the field.

I also agree with Sergio on the "uselessness" of the levels. I like to have the ground glass at eye level for ease of composition and focusing. With the camera high enough to allow me to focus and compose without bending over, there is no way I can see the levels without a step-stool or a mirror. I greatly prefer the levels on the TK45S. Not only are there independent levels for both axis, but I can actually see the horizontal rear standard level while my head is under the darkcloth. A small nicety, but being able to level the camera side to side, while observing the image on the ground glass is a nice touch.

Again, I'm not meaning to bash the DLC. It's a wonderful camera and a very innovative design. Just because it's not perect for ALL of MY needs does not mean I do not appreciate the thought and effort that went into the design. Like I said, there is no perfect camera for all of MY needs. I have also posted many positive comments about the Canham on the internet over the last three years. In this particular thread I was only attempting to answer the original poster's question - not trying to put down the Canham. It has many wonderful and unique characteristics, including a great combination of weight and useable focal length range not found on any other camera. Like I said, I've used many other cameras over the years, and they've all had their strong and weak points. And even though I am currently using the TK45S, I have also posted a couple negative comments about it as well (weight and tripod socket location). Perhaps my needs are too specialized, or I am just too darn picky. Perhaps it's just the engineer in me constantly trying to re-design everything I own. Whatever the case, I don't want my comments to come across as overly critical. Like anything else on the internet, take them with a grain of salt and make your own choices based on your needs, not the ramblings of some semi-anonymous know-it-all you've never met.

Kerry (aka: semi-anonymous know-it-all)