Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new 20x24 Studio Type Camera

Re: My new 20x24 Studio Type Camera

I'm floored. Let's see some examples of what it does next please

Someone asked me how my "digitally-controlled-Packard" works? I am going to show some pictures and write brief explanation on it. I hope it helps someone getting tired of using their hat ....

Here is the front view, the lens board is 12x12" square, with center opening to fit the 9x9 lens "box" from Deardorff. The Packard is attached at the back of the Deardorff 9x9 box.

On the left side, there are two plugs, one for power input of the magnetic coil, and the second one is for the flash sync.

Flip it over, the back side.

The original shutter that I purchased was using a HUGE coil that takes 110V DC, which is not easy for me (We are using 220V AC in Hong Kong), and not applicable for most of the small digital controller. So I decided to replace a LARGE 12VDC magnetic coil, the power consumption should be around 12V/1Ah. Also, I have attached a micro-switch at the bottom, to act as a flash sync (When the magnetic coil pull back, it will hit the micro-switch and gives out a signal as flash sync). The white plug can be un-plug when dissemble. Two springs at the top, one is for spare only, no special.

Here is the digital-controller with build-in 12V battery. It also has a open-close switch at the top, "open" for focus, "close" for firing shutter. The green button is for firing the shutter.

12V input, can be used as a indoor power supply or battery-charge input.

The other side we have a fuse installed and a plug that a cable can be used to connect to the shutter.

This is the digital controller that I used. There are different type of controller, e.g. Omron. But most of the controller can't be used. it is because when you hold the "fire" button, most of the controller will cont' to count time repeatedly until you release the button. i.e. if you set the controller to 0.1 sec, and you hold the button for 2 sec, then most of the controller will count 20 times of 0.1 sec, which means your shutter would fire 20 times during this period!!

This controller allows you to control down to 0.01 sec (look at the red square). You can select different scale, e.g. 0.1s, 1s .... up to hours (good for long-exposure lover?) Another good things of this controller is that, you can change the scale from the front panel. Some other brand controller needs you to switch the "jumper" at the bottom. In this case, it means you need to open the controller box, read the damn instruction at side of the controller (if you can read it), pull out and put back the tiny-little black jumper correctly.

This is the inside of the controller-box, good that I can put everything in it. I am sorry that I don't have a circuit drawing with me that shows how the cables connect to each other. I let you guys know once I get the drawing.

12VAh battery, I will have no problem shooting 4 hours non-stop with this fully charged battery (by calculation).

I have tested the this shutter by shutter tester, the fastest shutter speed is around 1/8 sec. Well, pretty good for a 5 inch opening shutter. I also tested the repeatability, it is very high; +/- 5%!!! Remember, you can control it down to 0.01 sec ..... which no other LF shutter can compare.

Have fun, and happy shooting!!

joseph

All beautifully put together- A fine looking camera-
    I join the queue of people looking forward to seeing the pictures from it-

If only there were a "hat's off to you" icon...
    Great stuff!

well done Jack, I hope you enjoy the 36" lens!

cheers

-Dan