Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new 20x24 Studio Type Camera

My new 20x24 Studio Type Camera

I am not sure where to put this thread, probably "Show off your homemade camera" should fit. But this camera is not 100% homemade, so I start a new thread here ....

I was dreaming to shot and own a 2024 camera since a few years back. Until last year, I thought, as an Engineer, why not make one by myself? So, I purchased a film holder from Sandy King and start go-backward from it.

My camera is intended to use in-door, so I only focus on stability and neglect any weight-loss option. Also, I am living in Hong Kong, space in our house is limited and expensive, so the design of the camera is modular type - most of the parts can be dissemble when stored.

After approx 7 months, the "Monster" is on its way to shot!!! Here are some pictures, enjoy!!

All the parts of the camera, as you can see it is space-saving and has excellent mobility (LOL)!!!

The camera has three sections, for shooting wide angle, one module is good enough.

Side view

Front view with Fujinon 500mm Processing Len. Now, I can prove this lens CANNOT cover 2024 .... but 1620 only. The lens board size is 12 inches.

Re: My new 20x24 Studio Type Camera

Camera with 2 sections, and Suter No.9 lens from Eddie at the front, this lens can cover 2024 for sure ... lots of room for movement.

Camera with 3 sections.

This camera is also suitable for Brass lens lover, as it equipments an 5 inches opening packard shutter, which I added a magnetic device to control the shutter and flash-sync.

Modified shutter with flash-sync.

Controller box with build in 12V battery, which should be able to work more than 4 hours non-stop. The fastest shutter speed should be around 1/8 seconds. I haven't tested it yet, but will do. The longest time should be 4 hours or until either the battery gone or the magnetic device is overheated. All the shutter speed can be set by this controller.

The wire from the controller box to the shutter box. The top is for power, the bottom is for flash-sync.

The focusing rail has two industrial type linear bearing that I took from an broken machinery.

The camera has two bellows and three sections at the bottom. Depends on the focal length of the lens / how close I want to shot the object, I can control how long / large of the camera can be. All the base-section has 3/8" screw hole underneath for tripod support.

As I said before, this camera is not 100% home-made. I ordered the bellow from Shen Hao Camera, all the wooden frame/base by local wooden-shop, all the metal parts and shutter parts are by technician from my factory. Well, at least I design and drew all mechanical drawing, and made the focusing ground glass by #1000 silicon carbide.

I still need to add some more device on the camera, e.g. locking device and ball screw for focusing back, etc. But I hope I can make some nice pictures from this monster soon.

That's amazing work. Made me laugh a little how you made an electric/electronic control for the shutter. I once did the opposite and cut off a near-identical magnet system from a shutter to make it hand controlled.

Working from a well functioning film holder is a good idea - probably the most demanding thing to make oneself - in any size!
    You seen to have a double size lens board system? 12" and 9". Or is the outer lens board just the holder for the shutter - and is bigger than 12"?

Steven, yes, the lens board is 12 inches, and I purchased a 9x9 lens-box from Deardorff and put two things together. I can either use a 12 inches lens board (but what kind of lens need this size lens-board?), or 9 inches lens board with self-make shutter control.

Ash, too bad, a electrical shutter from packard is way more expensive than air controlled version.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_hui View Post
    (but what kind of lens need this size lens-board?
    several BIG portrait lenses that cover 2024 will need 12x12. good thinking. i once had a huge dallmeyer 8d that had a flange with an OD of just over 9 inches......and i have held bigger lenses too!

i think i need to find you something like that for you....stay tuned.

the camera looks great. nice work. the lens looks better too.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

this is great looking. nice job

eddie, I spent two hours to polish and put on new lacquer on the lens.
    it looks like new now.

tell me about the huge lens later, i am broke already, haha!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Jack, this is great. Working from the film holder is the way to go. Same thing I have done on my camera builds.