Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Awesome new weather website

Awesome new weather website

As a tool for planning (besides looking out the window) , the noaa.gov's weather data has been one of my favorite tools, especially the tabular data that includes hourly cloud cover, precipitation, temperature, etc.

I've just discovered a new tool that takes this data to a new level. Called weatherspark, it is an interactive site that provides not only realtime, but historic weather info.

Check it out at http://weatherspark.com/

Re: Awesome new weather website

Hmmm. I just checked it out for my location from all three sources. It said 25% cloud cover and there is not a cloud in the sky? Sometimes i think weather reporting is more art than science.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

It's in beta form right now, but it looks like it will be very good when ready for prime time.
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

I agree Kirk. Looking out the window does work, and I often feel the weather coming rather than relying on stats. This was especially true when you're intimately familiar with a particular region. Nothing like being out in it constantly to become attuned to subtle changes in air pressure, wind, and humidity.

And John's correct. It is still in beta. The website apologizes for the inconsistencies that some of the reporting stations introduce. I'm jazzed because the interactive nature of the data presentation is wonderful, and the historical info fascinating.

That is cool. In general I'm a Flash-basher but sometimes it enables really good stuff. My new weather info source.

I wonder if/how they're going to make money off it.

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    I agree Kirk. Looking out the window does work, and I often feel the weather coming rather than relying on stats. This was especially true when you're intimately familiar with a particular region. Nothing like being out in it constantly to become attuned to subtle changes in air pressure, wind, and humidity.

And John's correct. It is still in beta. The website apologizes for the inconsistencies that some of the reporting stations introduce. I'm jazzed because the interactive nature of the data presentation is wonderful, and the historical info fascinating.
    A friend of mine used to be a weather man here. One day I was watching his forecast and he said there was a 16% chance of rain. Looking out the window, I could see that it was pouring. His office at the tv station is about a 1.5 miles from my house. I sent him an email to that effect that it IS raining. He replied that he sometimes gets so wrapped up in computer reports that he forgers to look out the window, BUT that in this case the supposed live weather report was actually pre-recorded earlier that morning.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The noaa.gov's weather data has been one of my favorite tools...
    I love NOAA (Noah!) for its tidal predictions – high and low – for very specific areas. As many know, high & low tides can differ wildly from one bay or inlet to the next, depending on which part of the world you’re in. Or the timing might coincide exactly across an entire region.

Here’s a useful link to NOAA’s 2011 tidal predictions for the United States.

Click your state, and voila! (Kansas, you’re out of luck.)

If you like to explore tidal pools at low-tide, or high-tide conditions, this will make your life a lot easier! As for “awesome weather sites” – the correct answer is to get out there and work w/ the conditions you find…

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by John Voss View Post
    It's in beta form right now, but it looks like it will be very good when ready for prime time.
    That reminds me of our business software migration to SAP: "It works in the production release."

There was a student dj on one of the local college radio stations that would do the weather like this - "And looking out the weather window - it's, um - windy and raining." (Or sunny or whatever)
    Never wrong.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

You became attuned to subtle changes in air pressure? How do you feel saying this BS? High pressure in the tower?
    Thanks for the link, it's a good one.