Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Awesome new weather website

Re: Awesome new weather website

Wayne Merry, too! Seems to me that's about when the nordic ski school started.

You have to admit that the view from Dewey is worth the effort, though I like Stanford even more.

Still at it in these days when folks can ski round trip to Glacier Point in less than two hours?

In Florida the forecasters were right every single day from May through September. All they had to say was "temperature in the low 90s, humidity in the low 90s, chance of afternoon thundershowers."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    In Florida the forecasters were right every single day from May through September. All they had to say was "temperature in the low 90s, humidity in the low 90s, chance of afternoon thundershowers."
    The proper meteorological terminology for that is "persistence forecasting".

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    Wayne Merry, too! Seems to me that's about when the nordic ski school started.
    Indeed, with Ned Gillete (RIP – Bev too, OMG all these people are gone!)

You have to admit that the view from Dewey is worth the effort, though I like Stanford even more.

Still at it in these days when folks can ski round trip to Glacier Point in less than two hours?
    Been there done that. In 1977 I was the only nordic skier competing in the National Championships from the Far West. Alas, arthritis in my knee has taken its toll. But oh how I used to love the run up the 4 Mile Trail to GP (49 minutes with return jog via Illilouette and Mist Trails). Now I use the excuse of carrying a camera to slow me down:

Treecicles, Badger Pass
    (2005 – 5X7 taken along the Glacier Point Road to Bridalveil Creek)

And now I fear this thread has now been hijacked, but I'm not certain I'm entirely responsible.

Oh yeah, my recollection is that it used to take me about 2 to 2 1/2 hours round trip from the Badger Pass A–Frame and back, but that was at least partially on frozen Sierra Cement, with blue–purple klister waxed, lignostone–edged, wood light touring skis, with kangaroo–skinned Jette boots (never could get the hop out of those shoes) and bindings, on unpacked, untracked snow – not the namby–pamby carbon fiber and plastic stuff the whipper–snappers use today, on machine–groomed trail .