Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amidol will Kill You?

Re: Amidol will Kill You?

Amidol is certainly toxic - in its powdered form it is easily inhaled. I use a mask and gloves when mixing to reduce exposure. Mind you I also use a mask and gloves when using paint stripper. If sensible precautions are taken then harmful effects from using admidol (indeed any photographic chemical) can be greatly reduced.

In fact, the chemical that did me the most damage was 10% sulphuric acid. I spilt some on my tee shirt and it ended up full of holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Certainly not uncalled for. Amidol is a carcinogen. Brett died thirteen months after the interview with Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Brett "dropped dead" at 81 years old. I don't think it was Amidol that killed him.

Pyro is also "dangerous" and should be handled with care. Many people are allergic most all photographic chemicals, and they can't spend time in the darkroom at all. I handle Pyro with gloves, and if I used Amidol, I'd be using gloves with it, too.

Don't worry about it; just don't drink it.
    Of a massive stroke, not of cancer. A carcinogen has nothing to do with having a stroke.

I don't really even read the villifying of amidol in the interview that the OP and some others seem to see. As others have said, it IS toxic, but if I liked the results and thought they were significantly better than I could get otherwise (I don't - I've seen amidol prints and they were ok but not obviously better than other developers to me - it may be paper specific of course) I might use it - carefully. And Brett does seem to be saying it's dangerous, which it is, and that he preferred to work with phenidone. If anything I'm a bit surprised at his condemnation of metol (which is mostly a contact irritant in some people as far as I'm aware) and hydroquinone. The latter has been used topically as a skin whitener, albeit banned as such in some countries. About the most conclusive thing one can say about it is that the FDA says it cannot be ruled out as a carcinogen, a far cry from a known danger. I think the danger from hydroquinone and metol (in the non allergic) with just normal care is minimal. Brett obviously got his hands in the developer, or the amidol wouldn't have stained his nails. I use tongs even with phenidone developers.

I think this is more to the point with Weston:

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    My guess, and only a guess, is that Brett's working methods were such that he was in contact with whatever he used...and perhaps he preferred not to change his working habits -- and instead, changed the developer to a less toxic one. Perhaps Brett was not comfortable wearing gloves, for example.

And from my own experience, when one has been around these chemicals for several decades, one can become hype-sensitive to them. It takes less exposure to push us over the line.

I do not see the dichotomy. I do not think M.A.S. has ever recommended that people touch Amidol -- use it, yes, but touch it, no.
    I agree, and also agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty230358 View Post
    Amidol is certainly toxic - in its powdered form it is easily inhaled. I use a mask and gloves when mixing to reduce exposure. Mind you I also use a mask and gloves when using paint stripper. If sensible precautions are taken then harmful effects from using admidol (indeed any photographic chemical) can be greatly reduced.
    Know what you're using, the risks associated with it, and treat it accordingly. That seems sensible to me.

The reason I stopped using it was because of disposal issues. You can't just dump the stuff down the drain. I like the results I got with it. Mr. Weston's comments were fairly matter-of-fact. I don't see them as an attack or condemnation. We have choices to make as photographers--for our health, and the health of our waterways. He made a different choice near the end of his life. May we all have the ability to change our spots as long as that.

--Gary

Wear gloves. Practice Safe Photography.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Different people are susceptible to different substances. But as a whole, a lifetime of exposure to photographic chemical can cause various conditions (none of them good). Wear gloves for contact with solutions, and a mask for working with powders. Ventilating your work area to the outside is always a good thing. label containers as to their contents. Clean work surfaces when you are done and dispose of chemicals per guidelines. Keep this stuff away from your kids. Just be a responsible informed user. All this information is available online.
    People use toxic and carcinogenic material every day in laboratory work with no consequences if they protect themselves from exposure.

Brett's comment was correct, but those that don't want to hear that message will take it the wrong way.

+1 to Bruce. Treat all photo chemicals with care, and keep developers (especially) off your skin.
    I found after some testing that when making enlargements on modern cold-tone paper, the difference in results between an Amidol developer and a standard-brand developer was insignificant. Especially when cost was considered. I also found that Michael Smith's Amidol formula does work well with Azo, better than (say) Dektol 1:2, but I'm not printing that way so for me it's a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Wear gloves. Practice Safe Photography.
    Or safer yet, use Photoshop!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Or safer yet, use Photoshop!
    Actually if we are going to be propagating conjecture, urban legends and the expert opinions of people without credentials, then Photoshop may be indeed more dangerous!
    Risk of DVT and prolonged sitting
    Risk of nearsightedness from bright screen on dark background
    Risk of inhaling aerosolized ink printer dyes
    Risk of electrocution plugging everything in
    Risk of carpal tunnel
    Risk of electromagnetic radiation
    etc....

Amidol can kill you. The LD50 in rats is 0.24 g/kg. You might extrapolate to a 75kg human that one could ingest 36 grams you may die without medical attention.

Threads like this probably belong in the Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Actually if we are going to be propagating conjecture, urban legends and the expert opinions of people without credentials, then Photoshop may be indeed more dangerous!
    What conjecture?

With all the hard facts available, it would be dangerously idiotic to negate Amidol's (as well as some other chemicals' used in photography) toxicity.

On the other hand, comparing that with Photoshop would be only amusingly so...