Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Dakota Badlands in April

Re: South Dakota Badlands in April

Almost forgot about the beauty of Spearfish Canyon and the Needles Highway. Might as well take in the Crazy Horse monument and Mount Rushmore while you're that close.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    Much more fun to go there in the first week of August, there will be plenty of "Animals"
    Are you suggesting that the Bikers are in Sturgis during the first week of August?...
    Good call, if so.

Also, with all the lawyers, doctors, accountants, brokers and other professionals riding to Sturgis these years, do that many Angels actually show?

Jan, that may help, but, just in case, you'd better ship me your lenses today for safekeeping;-)
    Haha, you wish Chauncey. Good try..

Foamer

Wall Drug has one of the best displays of old pioneer photos in a large building in the back. I could spend an entire day looking at them. They were taken by a dentist around 1905 on full plates, I think. They should really make a book from the images. As for Badlands, be on the south side of them before dawn if it's clear. The white cliffs reflect the color in the sky like a giant projection screen. I want to take my monolights and photo the place at night sometime. Should still be plenty of snow left in Black Hills, and it will likely be cold. Several nice restaurants out that way. Also some some interesting general stores tucked in out of the way places. Do not mess around with buffalo out there. They will kill you.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Several nice restaurants out that way.
    Any pointers on this? We went a few years ago and did not manage to find one decent meal in 10 days.

Also, with all the lawyers, doctors, accountants, brokers and other professionals riding to Sturgis these years, do that many Angels actually show?
    Actually, most of the yuppies park their bike trailers a hundred miles away so they don't need to ride on these uncomfortable bikes for days to get there

Don't think much have changed though but my last ride to Sturgis was in 2000 so who knows.

Folks,
    Thanks for all the help. Peter .. I did read your posts before but thanks for the pointer. Storms still rolling through the north. Even here in the southwest US we are still getting snow. I am hoping that this will provide me with some interesting photos. Thanks also for the tip on Devils Tower.
    Now .. where are those restaurants where I can warm up and do some food photography!! Just before I get REALLY involved in the subject.
    For the trip I am doing my last minute equipment check and run through. I am planning on doing mostly 4x5 as I find it a little easier when I am traveling. I will use the Mamiya RB for snapshots
    Thanks again.
    Ric

Richard,

When I went I bought a photo guide. I can't for the life of me remember who did it, but it was quite good. Perhaps a web search will turn it up? The roads can be quite bad in bad weather. You'll have to be careful, especially off the main road. Like most things, the light makes a huge difference.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Foamer

There are two good restaurants in Spearfish, one is Italian and one is more eclectic (Bay Leaf.) Hill City has a great restaurant in the old hotel, Chute Rooster is good for steaks. You might have a problem finding places that are open because it's still going winter here. Around the Badlands, about the only place to eat is Wall Drug, and it's just OK. Further east at Oacoma is one of my favorite restaurants but that's at least an hour & half away. In the Badlands, if they are wet they are very miserable. The ash/clay is extremely slippery. The white mud will stick to boots and if left on will eat them away. One of these nights I'm going to try and light up Devil's Tower with all my monolights. There are some cool old general stores out that way too that are still in busines.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The Needles highway comes to mind for B&W rocks and views.
    If you are a hiker, Harney Peak is a moderate hike from Sylvan Lake. Good views from the old stone lookout tower, and often some mtn goats hanging around.
    The game road on the east side of Custer State Park is where the buffalo seem often to be, and there are some nice open views there as well.