Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Back Interchangeability?

4x5 Back Interchangeability?

I currently use a 6x7cm field camera, but I am wanting to get into 4x5 photography and have a few questions about buying a used camera.

Is there a standard 4x5 film back that works on most brands of cameras?

I'm specifically looking at Horseman, Sinar, and Arca-Swiss. Do each of these have a different type of film back, specific to each manufacturer? I'm leaning towards Horseman simply because I have a 980, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Will the 105mm lens on my Horseman 980 work on a 4x5?

Octogenarian

Re: 4x5 Back Interchangeability?

If you are asking about 4x5 cut film holders, yes, they will work on all three camera brands that you mentioned. 4x5 backs are standardized.

Your Horseman 105mm lens might cover 4x5 when closed down to f22 or smaller. Try it out.

You will need a lens with a larger image circle if you want to take advantage of the movements offered by a 4x5 camera.

Most double sided film backs from Fidelity, Riteway, et al. work on any camera; they have been standardized for a long time.
    Whether a certain camera accepts other backs (Polaroid or Fuji instant, Grafmatic) will depend on whether or not that camera uses a Graflok (or International) back.
    This permits the regular back to be removed, and lock another back in its place by various methods such as locking pins.
    Some research, here and elsewhere on the internet, into your camera choice will give you those answers.
    I suspect your 105mm will not fully cover 4x5, but you might nonetheless enjoy the results' it's definitely worth a try.
    Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I currently use a 6x7cm field camera, but I am wanting to get into 4x5 photography and have a few questions about buying a used camera.

Is there a standard 4x5 film back that works on most brands of cameras?
    All three of those cameras have an International back which is the same as the Graflok back used by Graflex started over half a century ago, so there are mountains of goodies that will work equally well on all three. This includes rollfilm holders, Polaroid and Fuji instant film holders, and any other accessory that uses a Graflok/International back.

As Gem said, they will also all take standard 4x5 film holders, which have been standardized for even longer. The most common examples have labels that say Fidelity, Lisco, and Riteway, and all these are quite similar. Toyo also makes holders that are highly respected. All work for nearly all practical applications, and are the place for someone new to 4x5 to begin. The plastic backs are likely to be newer and if they are flat they work fine. Wooden ones in good condition also work, but they will be older and more likely to have light leaks or loose joints.

Rick "who uses and has used Fidelity film holders, a Sinar roll film holder, a Wista roll film holder, a Shen-Hao roll film holder, a Fuji Quickload holder, a Fuji PA-45 instant film holder, and a Polaroid 545i instant film holder in Sinar and Cambo cameras" Denney

If you mean film holders, all the above are correct.
    If you mena the actual back of the camera, No! They are not standardized and mostly not interchangeable between brands of camera.

Good catch John.

As for the Horseman 105mm, Horseman lenses named "Super Horseman" such as the "Super HORSEMAN 105mm F 4,5" cover 4x5 when stopped down. The "Professional HORSEMAN 105mm F 3,5" does not. See

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If you mean film holders, all the above are correct.
    If you mena the actual back of the camera, No! They are not standardized and mostly not interchangeable between brands of camera.
    I suppose I mean both.

If I were to buy something like in the link below, then all I would need is the film holders, a lens and appropriate size lens board?

Well used Sinar F

Quote Originally Posted by aduncanson View Post
    Good catch John.

As for the Horseman 105mm, Horseman lenses named "Super Horseman" such as the "Super HORSEMAN 105mm F 4,5" cover 4x5 when stopped down. The "Professional HORSEMAN 105mm F 3,5" does not. See
    Thanks for clarifying that. I have a "Professional" lens. It will still focus, but I'll have a circular image on a 4x5 sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I suppose I mean both.

If I were to buy something like in the link below, then all I would need is the film holders, a lens and appropriate size lens board?

Well used Sinar F
    Yes. Plus a stout tripod, heavy duty tripod head (preferably a 3-way pan head), dark cloth, shutter release cable, and something to carry it all in. That's a 9+ lb camera as pictured, but the other stuff will add something like another 10-14 lb to the kit. So figure on mule-hauling around about 20-22 lb in all, plus the weight of whatever you carry it all in. That's why wheeled devices (like jogging-type baby strollers) and good backpacks are so popular with LF folks.

LF is the most fun you can have in photography without getting arrested. But it's a little like buying a boat. Yes, you do need to start with a hull and a motor. But after that comes the real money, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by picker77 View Post
    Yes. Plus a stout tripod, heavy duty tripod head (preferably a 3-way pan head), dark cloth, shutter release cable, and something to carry it all in. That's a 9+ lb camera as pictured, but the other stuff will add something like another 10-14 lb to the kit. So figure on mule-hauling around about 20-22 lb in all, plus the weight of whatever you carry it all in. That's why wheeled devices (like jogging-type baby strollers) and good backpacks are so popular with LF folks.

LF is the most fun you can have in photography without getting arrested. But it's a little like buying a boat. Yes, you do need to start with a hull and a motor. But after that comes the real money, lol.
    Sounds like I've got all the other equipment. I'm not planning on hauling a 4x5 around, yet at least. This is likely going to be semi-permanently set up in the basement for tabletop and occasional portrait experiments.