Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First year Heliar's

Re: First year Heliar's

I don't know why the Heliar comes up whenever "soft-focus" is mentioned. In my experience, it ain't.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Well, there are Universal Heliars, which have the soft-focus adjustment. "Regular" Heliars, because they are fast, have shallow Dof wide open, and out-of-focus areas are rendered nicely.
    But you're right, strictly speaking, NOT a soft focus lens.
    My inquiries started when I discovered my 14" does not seem as sharp as my 11.75", but so far, that is subjectively based on GG view with a loupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't know why the Heliar comes up whenever "soft-focus" is mentioned. In my experience, it ain't.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    it is not. They are pretty darn sharp when focused right. "smooth" but sharp.

24 cm f/4.5 to f/36
    D.R.P. 124954
    Serial No. 132226
    black in a marvelous Compound shutter, just mounts on a Canham board. Heavy!
    As Serge notes above, smoooooth. Have never closed it more than two stops so cannot judge behavior when closed down further.

Russ

Heliars are just to dam expensive anymore. I would like to have one, but they are not even worth it to "keep an eye out" for category.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbender View Post
    Heliars are just to dam expensive anymore. I would like to have one, but they are not even worth it to "keep an eye out" for category.
    Born too late, I guess. Heck, I made money on that one I sold Bill up above.

Charley

I found this thread and thought this might be of interest.
    In the monthly magazine "The photo miniature" vol 5, October 1903, number 55
    http://tinyurl.com/nfqyxb2
    So perhaps that lot of s/n was set aside for New York and they started selling them January 1,1904

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    I found this thread and thought this might be of interest.
    In the monthly magazine "The photo miniature" vol 5, October 1903, number 55
    http://tinyurl.com/nfqyxb2
    So perhaps that lot of s/n was set aside for New York and they started selling them January 1,1904
    Thanks for sharing.

I will say this very old and often mentioned information. Steven Tribes points this out when the subject is brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I'll be the first to discount any magic. The magic is behind the camera ~ in front of the lens. As somebody has well quoted, "it's the picture, stupid".

But for the pictures that we would choose a smoooooth-sharp lens for, a Heliar is awfully hard to beat. Even so, hold a gun to my head and tell me to choose between a Heliar, any vintage, and a Cooke Series II Portrellic, and it's the Cooke I'll keep.

Better / worse / more value / less value / I'll say, nope. The most valuable and scarce of the Heliar's seems to be the last ~ coated ones. I just like the early ones because I have the 'weird' gene.
    I wish I had an early one. My 21cm, SN 3947984 is in a beautiful Compound shutter and is coated. I use it wide open mostly. It is sharp in the center and moves smoothly into the OOF areas, but I really wish I had a very early one because of their reported imaging qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

I will say this very old and often mentioned information. Steven Tribe points this out when the subject is brought up.
    But I won't repeat myself, this time! The NY engraving differs from the Brunswick version as well!