Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canham 617 back announced at photokina?

Canham 617 back announced at photokina?

I had heard the Keith was to announce his new 617 back at Photokina this year. Has that happened? I did a search but was unable to find a 2000 Photokina site that had product announcements.

On a similar note, I would appreciate comments on the 617 rangefinder cameras av ailable to the market; the Fuji, the Linhof, and the Art Pan. I have seen littl e comparison among cameras, and precious little info at all on the Art Pan. I w on't consider the V-Pan if the Canham back is available, since I have Canham gea r right now.

Thanks,

Michael

I don't know if it's announced, but a couple of months ago Canham was talking about it being available around the end of the year/early next year. He also spoke of another project to do a simplified 6x17 sometime after he masters the roll film back.

I actually held it in my hands on saturday when I was in Cologne. It still looked a prototype but it was there, some details were still to be made but the general thing was there. About the 6x17. If you or anybody else hasn't read anything yet of a German camera builder called "Gilde", well, by golly! Try to see his camera (I have got a folder somewhere but not here at the moment). The camera is fantastic and although very expensive, if the pockets allows for it buy the most incredible 6x17! It shoots any format between 6x6 and 6x7 (on the same roll!), stereo isn't a problem and it uses from 72mm up until 270mm. How about that! At the kina they were next to Linhof and this last one looked like a toy in comparison. Greetings.

Cool Camera!

http://www.gilde-kamera.de/

Tim A
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

How do you focus the gilde-kamera? Is it some kind of coupled rangefinder or via a ground glass? Very interesting camera!

I think the Gilde probably focus like both the Fuji and the Linhof 617's - dead reckoning as I recall. Though it does have a ground glass option according to the website.

Tim A
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I, too, was rather impressed by the camera (inventor/producer Dr. Gilde demonstr ated it to me at Fotokina)... Referring the focal length, he had even a sample of the new Schneider 400mm atta ched to one of his cameras, and he said that you can use the Nikkor tele lenses up to 720mm if necessary (using 2 tripods). Focus is obtained either per estima tion/DOF, or by a groundglass (which is a standard accessory part) - the camera has a light-tight detachable film magazine, so you can check the groundglass at any time.

I think if I were rich enough, I would buy a Gilde system immediately... it real ly brings together the best things from (medium format) panorama and view camera s (shift & tilt!)... I hope the Fotokina was enough marketing boost for the prod uct to allow lowering the price due to increased sales (just dreaming . Accor ding to Dr. Gilde, the cameras are produced on order currently due to the limite d interest, explaining the high price.

I have never seen this camera in person, but fell in love with the specs. As per the poster above, Dr. Gilde truly took the best of all worlds, Pans, MF with interchangelble format, stereo (the only new stereo MF camera on the market), gg focussing, interchangeable lenses and slight movements. I priced the camera with 3 Pan lenses, a stereo lens pair and gg focussing...and it came out to be about $24,000. As impressive as that camera is, the pricing drove me away.... Maybe a larger company will buy the camera design from him and gear up production and offer it for less $$ someday.... Dream on...

Ooops, back to the issue of 6x17 backs.... does anyone know if that back Keith is coming out with is for 5x7 or 4x5? I have been baffled why no maker has produced a 6x17 back for a 4x5 camera....Art Pan does make one, but does not promote it...from what I heard, you have to call Japan and talk them into building you one. It seems that is the large market...5x7 is small compared to 4x5....does anyone know?

How would you fit a 6x17cm back on a 4x5in (9x12 cm) camera? 17cm>12cm. It would seem to me that you would need at least a 5x7in camera to fit such a back. (Unless the rear standards on your 4x5 camera are much larger than they ned to be.)