Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of a Photobackpacker pack...looking for advice

Re: Thinking of a Photobackpacker pack...looking for advice

Hi Michael,

I have two of the photobacker's, one for 4x5 and other for 8x10. I use a Canham 8x10 traditional field camera and Bruce has an off the shelf camera case that fits it like a glove. The camera is well protected and all the gear has been never had any damage. The 4x5 pack I converted to take a MF camera on travels to China / Tibet and in spite of rough handling everything was safe. I was really impressed with how nicely the 4x5 system handled the MF camera gear. The pack is so comfortable while standing in line at the LA airport for 30 minutes I kept the backpack so as not to put it on the dirty floor.

Good protection, stuff is organized and comfortable in use.

Best Regards,

Tim

Other than the fact that Bruce's system uses a technical backpack as its basis that allows a lot of weight to be carried more comfortably, I think the biggest advantage is its versatility. I bought the pack and cases for my Hasselblad camera and lenses. When I began shooting 4x5 I bought some new cases for the camera and lenses, with the idea that I could switch back and forth between formats easily. The only problem with my idea is that I have not looked back to MF after getting hooked on big negatives, but the option is there whenever I want to use it.

I realize there is a lot of size difference between 4x5 and 8x10 gear, but my Tech III, 3 lenses, meter, hood/filter holders, filters, and 8 film holders fit snugly and safely inside the main compartment of the pack.

I also have one of the Photobackpacker packs. I use it for my Canham 8x10 mainly. I have also used it for my whole plate cameras. I got the external pockets for 35 mm lenses which I used during a workshop last year. I have one of the multi-lens cases and two of the individual lens cases. It worked great for me.