Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning film with Epson 4990...HELP!

Scanning film with Epson 4990...HELP!

I guess I have no idea what I am doing. Here are my problems:

1 - I open the Epson Scan software from my desktop and use "Professional Mode".

2 - For B&W 35mm negs the document type I select is "Film [with film holder]". If I select "Film [with film area guide]" my scans are soft. I can get very nice sharp scans from my 35mm negs. So I have no idea what the "Film [with film area guide]" is for.
    Anyway, I click "preview" and scan the 35mm film strip and the preview shows me all six negs separately in six previews. I can then select which one(s) to scan.

3 - For 120 negs and 4X5 negs, using the film holders, if I click "preview" using the "Film [with film holder]" as my document type (as I do with 35mm) the resulting preview divides the single image into 3 partial images, as if it was scanning a strip of 3-35mm negs instead of 1-medium or large format neg...so, I end up having to use "Film [with film area guide]" as my document type which results in my scans being very soft.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I am doing wrong? I know my medium and large format images are suffering because I don't know what I am doing.

Re: Scanning film with Epson 4990...HELP!

Film area guide is for scanning directly on the glass, with the thin plastic guide. You would use it for scanning 8x10, or proof sheets.

For scanning 120/4x5 with film holder, I usually just uncheck thumnail and after preview use the cursor to select the area to be scanned. I believe you can also choose your film size set up in configuration.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Octogenarian

Look at the top of the preview. Click on "normal".

You are probably set on "thumbnail".

Thanks guys. I'll have a look when I get back home tomorrow.

What Jon and Gem said.

To speed things along I also save settings. ie- I select the frames and then save this selection as a setting with whatever rez etc I need. I do this for 35, 6x6,6x7,6x9,4x5 8x10, xpan etc. etc.. Saves having to go through the frame selection process every time you fire up the scanner. When you're ready to begin a scanning session, just select the appropriate setting and it brings up the saved marquee selections. Hope this makes sense.

I use the film guide sans holders if I need lots of dark space or rebate around a frame.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Well, I gave it a try.

I scanned for preview, a 4X5 neg in the film holder.

The preview comes out as I described - divided into three thumbnails. I can't click from "thumbnail" to "normal" until I make this initial preview.

Now I go down to the arrow that is just next to my preview button, click it and the option for "normal" is there. I click it and the preview window disappears and I can now do the "normal" preview.

When I click preview I can tell that the sound the scanner makes is different than when it is in "thumbnail" mode. It is louder in thumbnail mode.

After the preview comes up it looks as it does when I scan in the "Film [with film area guide]" document type but the document type is still set at "Film [with film holder]".

I then select around the entire 4X5 neg preview then click "scan" and the resulting image is just as soft as when I scan with "Film [with film area guide]" document type.

So, as a comparison I remove the film holder and lay the 4X5 neg on the ground glass and scan in document type "Film [with film area guide]". The scan is soft.

I then scan in document type "Film [with film holder]", even though I am not using a film holder. The scan is soft.

So, I just don't get it. In order to get sharp scans I have to scan in thumbnail mode, which is fine for 35mm but will not work at all for 120, 4X5, or 8X10.

Any other ideas? Is there an update for the driver? I purchased this scanner from a friend about 4 years ago.

Octogenarian

Randy,

With Epson Scan set on professional mode, there is a list of scanner settings that you can select, starting with Un-sharp mask, Grain Reduction, etc

Make sure that none of them are selected and try again.

If you're consistently getting scans that do not come out sharp, there is a strong possibility that your scanner is defective.

None are selected Gem.

Oh well. I am at a loss (mentally and financially). It's not like the scans are real soft, but just not as sharp as the negatives are. When I magnify the scan in Photoshop to examine the detail (spider webs, wood grain, fabric threads) the scan is not picking up the subtle detail that is obviously there when looking at the neg through a magnifier.

Since you are able to get a sharp scan with the 35mm in holders, you should be able to get a sharp 120/4x5 scan with film holder. I don't think it is helpful to try random things. Perhaps your friend can show you how to use the scanner? What resolution are you scanning at?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Jon, my friend won't be much help. He hardly ever used the scanner and lost interest.

For the scan of the 4X5 neg I had it set at 16 bit gray scale and 1200 dpi.
    I just tried a scan at 8 bit gray scale and 2400 dpi. Still soft.

Just doesn't make sense to me. Why does it result in tac-sharp 35mm scans with the film holder and in thumbnail mode (which I can't use with 120, 4X5, 8X10) but in normal mode the scans (even of 35mm) are soft?

I am on the verge of taking the afternoon off and doing a little target practice...now what would make a good target?