Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 to 14 Photographers Wanted For "Folio Exchange."

Re: 12 to 14 Photographers Wanted For "Folio Exchange."

don't recall ANY galleries showing, or museums collecting RC prints.
    Photo myths. It is a total myth that galleries and museums only show and collect archival art. Look at Gursky's C prints. How do you explain that? Or Heinecken's Xeroxs. What contemporary photographer has been shown and collected more by museums and serious contemporary galleries than Gursky.

Its like the issue about dry mounting. People on this forum have stated that museums won't buy a dry mounted print. Yet, with over 200 prints in museum collections, I have never even been asked about dry mounting and 99% of all my sales to museums have been dry mounted.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 3-Mar-2011 at 09:24.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    I have never seen an RC print that lasted more than a few years "in storage".
    How many is "a few"? Within reach of where I'm sitting here at my computer I've got plenty of RC prints in good condition, in boxes and albums, going back to 1993. If I get up and dig a little deeper elsewhere around the house, I can go back at least another ten years before that.

Besides, I don't like the super glossy surface on BW prints. I don't recall ANY galleries showing, or museums collecting RC prints.
    I've seen B&W RC in gallery shows. Pearl surface, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post

Its like the issue about dry mounting. People on this forum have stated that museums won't buy a dry mounted print. Yet, with over 200 prints, in museum collections, I have never even been asked about dry mounting and 99% of all my sales to museums have been dry mounted.
    Nor have I. The issue of dry mounting prints is interesting. Edward Weston dry mounted his Pepper #30 prints, on acid board; they are valued close to $1,000,000 today. I think the whole concept of "archival" needs to be revisited.

but RC paper was meant for proofs and I have never seen an RC print that lasted more than a few years "in storage".
    I have plenty of RC prints proofs from ~ten years ago in storage which still look fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    So, anyone out there willing to do this with me? Thought this might be a nice way to have a group of work in a nice finished presentation. Hope to get some interest.
    I am interested in participating in this.

-Darren

Hey Guys,

I don't want to see this derailed into a debate. I'm trying to put together something along the lines of a print exchange, only everything will be put into one of the folios and then sent back to the participants. Of course this if for fun, but I would like to do it right so that we have a nicely finished folio of the group of photographs.

I'm offering to supply the folio covers and put everything together and then ship back to the participants. You supply your group of prints. And you pay for return shipping and I do the rest.

So, with all that being said. The size of the folio will be the 11x14 size. I don't care if the image is inkjet or any other photo other than the finished size has to be 11x14. I would like it to be a landscape theme. How's that?

If you would like to participate, please chime in here or email me at jimbecia at aol.com, but please don't let this get off track.

Hi Jim, I am interested, but I have a question.How many prints do you want from each of us? my folios are theme projects with up to 12 images. do you want 1,2,3,or more from each of us? i'm not sure of how to proceed.

Richard Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Richard A Johnson View Post
    Hi Jim, I am interested, but I have a question.How many prints do you want from each of us? my folios are theme projects with up to 12 images. do you want 1,2,3,or more from each of us? i'm not sure of how to proceed.

Richard Johnson
    Richard,

This is very much like a print exchange. I was hoping for a minimum of 12 photographers and I am one of the 12. Let's keep it at the number. So every photographer would send in 12 photos. I put together the 12 folios of 12 different images and then send one folio back to each photographer. I hope that clarifies the issue. Thanks. Jim

Jim, thanks for doing this. You can count me in. I like landscapes! Color or black & white?
    Thad Gerheim

Images can be either color or black and white. Makes no difference to me. Jim