Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper negatives

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: Paper negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    Hey Andrew, I really like this. It's like no other guitar photo I've seen.
    Mike
    hey thanks very much Michael,

i shoood try and scan it as it looks very out of focus in that shot.

andrew
    through a glass darkly...

18x24cm paper negative - Gandolfi precision - Oscar Zverzina "Plasticca" lens....

Claudio Santambrogio

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    18x24cm paper negative - Gandolfi precision
    Indeed, Gandolfi, it is! Your work is always a pleasure to look at!

Thought I'd like to add to this thread. Its been raining a lot, so I thought I'd play with a new (to me) Whole Plate Criterion View. 21cm. Zeiss Tessar, approx 45 sec. Scanned, but not yet cleaned up. Its been nice to shoot a little and have some success.
    Al

multiplex

windowboxes

made with seasoned home roasted sumatran based caffenol c and 20cc ansco130/1000cc
    caffenol c ... the seasoned part was made in december ( around 2L )
    1/2 was removed in march after 100 sheets of paper + film were put through it
    and 750cc was added ( without the ansco130 ) in march

full frame post card format paper negative on expired kodak rc polymax paper

I started shooting paper as a way to try 8x10 cheaply. I occasionally use paper for 4x5 as a way to try out lenses. I also find it much more convenient to pour out a tray of paper chemistry and work under a safe light than to start messing around with HC-110. I started out using Ilford MG IV RC but switched to Arista Ultra EDU Grade 2 since it's quite a bit cheaper. These are scans of the paper negs (as reflective) using an Epson 3170, inverted and mirrored using photoshop.

My own contributions to this thread:

A gundlach meniscus shot on 4x5 using a Pacemaker Speed at around f5 instead of the f11 Gundlach intended.

WP Manhattan Optical RR on 8x10 Eastman 2D

The gundlach meniscus again but on the 2-D at 8x10. It might have covered a bit more if I hadn't swung the back.

A wollensak meniscus, also around f5 on the 2-D at 8x10. Again, back was swung. That's my sleeve in the upper right corner - the lens is pretty wide.

Dan

I made a slightly longer bed for my home-brew 4x5 so had some fun with a close up. The lens is from a magnifying glass that the children 'lost' I made a stop to place in front of the lens out of brass shim.

90mm focal length, f/52 for 4 seconds through a yellow filter onto a pre-flashed Ilford VC MGIV paper negative, developed to completion.

Best regards,

Evan

I was "testing" some Ilford Universal paper developer which appears to have gone south, as it requires much less dilution to get normal development activity. Arista RC grade 2 in Speed Graphic, Ektar 127mm lens, slight preflash on the paper, 1/50s exposure @ f/4.7.

~Joe
    The photograph and the thing being photographed are not the same thing.

just had my biggest camera out for the fun of it...

40x50cm (15x20") paper negatives.

The lens was a Hermagis Aplanat 540mm, which actually is a wideangle.... gotta find a bigger lens..

But I Like th elens quality very much...

My identical twin Anders, looking seriously serious...:

and here's Maj:

I devoured this thread last night. As a way to get started with my new Burke & James Press, I've been shooting Arista Ultra in my film holder and developing in caffenol-C. I happen to have one of those 'saints' who runs our (thankfully) still-in-business local photo store, who keeps me flush in charitable tithings to the photo gods. Yesterday he threw a box of 2F AZO (8x10 100sht, exp. 05/05) my way.

Anyway, I'm having an absolute blast shooting paper. I'm also lucky enough to have access to a community darkroom and don't want to shoulder the expense of developing 4x5 on my own right now, especially when I can do it there without having to buy developing tanks, enlarger, carrier, lens, etc. The paper neg./contact printing combination allows me to shoot and process in the same day with remarkably good results (granted, not museum-bound here.)

I'm also contact printing (though I haven't gotten to the AZO yet, I really can't wait.)

These are mostly process shots, i.e. - can I do this? But wanted to share the combinations I've produced with you all with the promise that I'll share more, hopefully more artistic images, as I go along.

Cheers,
    Craig

The top one is a contact print from the first paper negative I ever shot (to the best of my recollection,) the center is a contact print from a lower contrast negative and then the bottom one is a higher contrast negative, all done in caffenol in the last few days. They were all on the scanner together and virtually nothing was done in photoshop (very slight levelling, very mild sharpening). The black in the bottom neg. caught me by surprise given that it was produced in caffenol. Most of my other tones were slower (and warmer) to develop giving results closer to the top two, if not more yellow/brown.