Page 56 of 122 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper negatives

Re: Paper negatives

I found that there was dust on the inside of my film holders and I think that when I trimmed down the paper (9x12) it added more dust.

I never got dust on my paper negatives but usually found dust sitting on my scanner prior to scanning. Try using an air blower on your scanner to clean up some dust to see if that helps.

Noobie to LF

axs810 - yeah - first thing i do actually. not sure what the issue is but it seems there is a lot of spotting to do. not sure if the issue is actually dust, or maybe old paper or what...head scratcher

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kennedy View Post
    axs810 - yeah - first thing i do actually. not sure what the issue is but it seems there is a lot of spotting to do. not sure if the issue is actually dust, or maybe old paper or what...head scratcher
    an example would certainly help....

Noobie to LF

here is an example, i havent done anything with this other than a bit of a resize. The paper is a few years old, never properly stored. Paper devloped in HC-110 dilution B.

I have never made a photo 'private' in flickr, so I hope you dont have any issues when you (if you) click on the image.

dust by DJKennedy219, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kennedy View Post
    here is an example, i havent done anything with this other than a bit of a resize. The paper is a few years old, never properly stored. Paper devloped in HC-110 dilution B.

I have never made a photo 'private' in flickr, so I hope you dont have any issues when you (if you) click on the image.
    hehe - the link says: "oups - this image is private"...

but how does the negative look? are the spots visible there too? (to rule out any darkroom faults)

Noobie to LF

gandolfi - sorry about the private thing. i thought with the link anyone using the link could view it. i didnt want it showing on my photostream.

IF you can click on it now, and it opens for you, view it larger. you can see the multiple spots that maybe 'dust spots' might not be the proper term, couldnt think of anything else to call them.

looking at the paper, i cant see anything with the naked eye, using a 7x loupe i can see something but not sure what it is. doesnt blow off (not dust?), maybe fibers from the paper (RC paper)? i dunno.

When i run out of this paper i will get fresh stuff. try with the fresh paper.

well - I can see it now, but actually only smaller than on this page...

it might be bad paper - but being Ilford? doesn't sound right (other type of paper would of course test it) - to me it looks like dust specks from the cassette.. - if the paper isn't exposed, then these specks will be white on negative (as it is paper) and hence that, black on the final result...

But I can't rule out some wrong stuff going on inside the paper...

Noobie to LF

yeah that particular image, you can see what appears to be possible finger prints, yes some dust - but the other spots. wow. lol. what can a guy say. I try to keep the amount of dust down to a minimum so that it doesnt create more work for me.

Yes, I think I will try some new paper. if it happens with new paper - then - I dont know. stick to film I guess.

If the problem goes away, then I will shoot more paper.

Thanks gandolfi for your thoughts.

EDIT: ok, i checked a scan of some even OLDER Kodak paper - where I took the exact photo with the kodak and ilford (same ilford as above) - and the kodak was clean. Still, I have no idea what this is, what caused it or what. so looks like I will be investing in new paper. (totally forgot I had taking the two images with different papers)

Thanks again gandolfi. I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and commenting.