Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: LF hikers ― is “Map & Compass” a dying art?

Re: LF hikers ― is “Map & Compass” a dying art?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    But I do recognize my own mortality and carry a SPOT personal locator just in case I find myself unexpectedly in a unrecoverable position by myself.
    Finally someone surfaces who knows what's going on with the technology and its value.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Drew Wiley

GPS can be downright dangerous if a person doesn't recognize its limitations. At the simplest level they merely recognize latitude/longitude and you need an accompanying map
    to make sense of them. But what most people are buying have some sort of crude on-board topo map system too. And I emphasize crude. It won't show enough detail to allow
    safe planning. Reminds me of the time a Boy Scout troop leader looked at a Forest Service
    map and figured it was just a four mile hike from point A to B. Problem was, there was a
    7000 ft deep canyon in the middle and eight of them died. Don't tell me people aren't that
    stupid. I've seen my share of body bags atop mule trains.

Where did I say people aren't that stupid? I said most people aren't that stupid. Using your logic people should not be driving cars either, rather driving mule trains. And to echo R.E.'s points your logic is also based on people only have GPS to the exclusion of all else. All-in-all a rather shallow and extreme position from which to build a sound argument.

Can a GPS be dangerous? I guess, yes, in the same sense that a fork can be dangerous. But it would be silly to argue against using a fork at the expensive of the benefits that a fork can provide.

Drew Wiley

GPS in the commercialized sense is now largely a navigation aid. They subscribe to maps
    others have made. Did you know that every commercial map out there has deliberate flaws
    somewhere on it just so they can catch someone pilfering their own work? These put those
    flaws where they think it's harmless. And there are no instant updates, like the fact that
    Forest Service gates get locked at a certain point. There have been horrific tragedies in
    recent years do to this. This is a techie gadget era. People blindly rely on these things.
    And both hikers and drivers have gotten killed due to the false confidence they inspire.
    Correctly used, they can certainly supplement other means of navigation or assist in rescues. But honestly, how did people get around for the last hundred thousand years?
    People died outdoors then. People still die now, gadgety or not. Go into the local REI
    superstore and they sell twenty flavors of GPS but not a single decent pair of hiking boots. Two inches of snow on the ground and you're frostbitten.

I used to teach navigation and bushwalking (hiking) for a living. I wouldn't recommend relying on a GPS, and tell people that they need to be able to read and use a map and compass.

So yes I can use one, and there is a lot of potential for things to go wrong, when the battery goes flat, or the thing stops working...

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Go into the local REI
    superstore and they sell twenty flavors of GPS but not a single decent pair of hiking boots. Two inches of snow on the ground and you're frostbitten.
    FYI REIs don't carry the full line of snow boots in the warmer months, since the warmer months don't get much snow. You can get many decent pairs of hiking boots for any level of exposure at rei, you just have to look during the right season. Out of season they will order you a pair and ship to the store at no cost. I'll get off your lawn now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    GPS in the commercialized sense is now largely a navigation aid. They subscribe to maps
    others have made. Did you know that every commercial map out there has deliberate flaws
    somewhere on it just so they can catch someone pilfering their own work? These put those
    flaws where they think it's harmless. And there are no instant updates, like the fact that
    Forest Service gates get locked at a certain point. There have been horrific tragedies in
    recent years do to this. This is a techie gadget era. People blindly rely on these things.
    And both hikers and drivers have gotten killed due to the false confidence they inspire.
    Correctly used, they can certainly supplement other means of navigation or assist in rescues. But honestly, how did people get around for the last hundred thousand years?
    People died outdoors then. People still die now, gadgety or not. Go into the local REI
    There you go again. A few stupid people die from blindly relying on a GPS, and therefore nobody should use a GPS.

I use my car GPS to get around the roads of New Jersey.
    And I have used my boots purchased at Campmor to summit mountains in -30 degree temps.
    I guess I should be thankful for the miracle that I am still alive and have all 10 toes.
    And none of us should use car batteries because some people hook up the jumper cables wrong and the battery explodes in their face.

BTW, those 2" of snow help insulate the feet and keep them near 32 degrees, making it much less likely to get frostbite than if there was no snow on the ground.

Drew, can you support this claim?

Did you know that every commercial map out there has deliberate flaws somewhere on it just so they can catch someone pilfering theirownwork?

LORAN, Anyone?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Drew, can you support this claim?
    http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/featu...nd/m3-3-1.html

Steve.