Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Useful items in your bag (that other smart photographers forget)

Re: Useful items in your bag (that other smart photographers forget)

Lots of great ideas here. My kids are grown and don't come along to carry my gear, so now I bring along a (see below).

Kirk,

In a thorough search on this site, I could only find references to the National park rules. Going to the NPS site, only a digest of guidelines, but not the actual rules in any sort of codified form.

Could you please supply a link to the actual NPS rules?

Thanks.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Perhaps already mentioned; with 4x5, I carry an extra ground glass. With 8x10, the extra stays in the vehicle.
    Carried an extra 4x5 GG in a film box when I bicycled in NZ for 5 months -- and also a lensboard with a pinhole in it. Figures if something happened to the one lens I brought, I'd still come home with something (I had no idea of I could have find a lens in NZ at the time).

But having an extra 8x10 GG for road trips is something I should look into.

A small flask of coffee..essential.
    Head torch...
    A map where ever I go.
    and a door wedge when shooting interiors.
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by arca andy View Post
    A small flask of coffee..essential.
    Head torch...
    A map where ever I go.
    and a door wedge when shooting interiors.
    Would you explain the value of the door wedge?

Quote Originally Posted by arca andy View Post
    ...a door wedge when shooting interiors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Would you explain the value of the door wedge?
    A “door wedge” is a super addition to our ever-growing inventory, and their use for interior photography deserves a dedicated thread.

I can speak only from very limited experience, but wedges are great to pin doors shut to keep the client’s children, pets, and curious houseguests out of the room you’re working in. The client, of course, has a secret knock. It’s important to vary this knock, because children and the smarter pets catch-on really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    A “door wedge” is a super addition to our ever-growing inventory, and their use for interior photography deserves a dedicated thread.

I can speak only from very limited experience, but wedges are great to pin doors shut to keep the client’s children, pets, and curious houseguests out of the room you’re working in. The client, of course, has a secret knock. It’s important to vary this knock, because children and the smarter pets catch-on really fast.

Ah, ah! I see, said the blind man to his deaf wife. Must go add one to my kit.

A half bottle of Le Montrachet '96, a good glass, and some Osetra caviar and blinis to smear it on.

Seriously... I don't take much more than camera, film, QL holder, tripod, head, dark cloth and meter. That weighs enough. Sure, a penknife or twine or whatever wouldn't weigh much more, but it takes me long enough to get out of the house as it is. Go with whatever works for you. There will always be shots you miss, either because you didn't have a piece of kit, or because you took so long packing that the light had changed...

David.

A few more things I neglected to mention, but have been prompted to by subsequent posts:

a spare ground glass or two lives in my car kit. I like the Scotch tape idea, I'll put some in my kit.

I always have a strap on my glasses so I can just take them off and "drop" them when I need to under the dark cloth (only after I return to "civilization" and remove the strap, I sometimes take of the glasses and really drop them, thinking the strap was still there). When in the outdoors, I wear an older pair of glasses, leaving the newer (hopefully more stylish) ones in the car. If I do lose a pair, I've got a spare.

a lipstick brush or a larger make-up brush reserved for lens/filter cleaning.

my Zone VI viewing filter or a viewing card (indispensable for the way I work).

of course, when in the wilderness I carry toilet paper and also some of those nifty little "moist towelettes" you get when you order spare ribs at the restaurant (handy for lots of things).

Water for the length of the hike plus some (often toted by my beautiful and patient assistant). Also snacks and, occasionally, an aluminum can of Fosters (lighter on the way out, of course...).

In the cities I work in, I sometimes get strange reactions from people who own businesses or buildings I am photographing. I find having a sheet of 4x5 film in my kit to show them helps reassure these people that I'm doing something genuine and "normal." (Great for educating interested passers-by as well.) This in addition to giving them my business card, letting them look at the ground glass and, sometimes, showing them my passport (which I carry when in Europe when working).

In bear country, I often carry a bear spray.

I have packed a pistol a time or two as well...

My cell phone comes with me always. It is a vital part of any survival kit these days.

Matches and a disposable lighter are with me. Lighters and a flint and steel live in the car always.

In cold weather, the space blanket gets put in a pocket somewhere.

I have a collapsible ski-pole-style walking stick that I take for really rough terrain. This plus my tripod allows pretty good extra support, especially on tricky descents (for some reason, getting back down from somewhere is always twice as dangerous as getting up there...)

In the car I always have a first-aid-kit, including a lower leg walking splint and casting material. I'm normally always with a partner, so if one of us breaks a leg or twists an ankle at least the other one can get back to the car, get the stuff and return. I figure the lower leg splint and a walking stick can get me out of most situations and back to the car at least.

Naturally, not all of these go with me every time. The choice depends on where I am and what I anticipate encountering.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

A half bottle of Le Montrachet '96, a good glass, and some Osetra caviar and blinis to smear it on.
    Dude.....I want to go shooting with you!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"