Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Useful items in your bag (that other smart photographers forget)

Re: Useful items in your bag (that other smart photographers forget)

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Good Grief Brian!

You forgot the fly-rod!....

Bob G.
    Bob, my trips last as long as 3 months and cover 15,000 miles. I'm also never sure of where I'll end up so I have to be prepared for everything from desert to snowy tundra to alpine.

One thing I forgot to mention, waist high waders.....

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

extra meter, masking tape, small line level, bellows factor gauge for macros, lens cloth,
    micron 01 ink pen, small note pad, Tag Heuer wrist watch, trail mix snack

Other than what I have read thus far..

For long hikes I carry a first aid kit which includes what others have mentioned as well as a signal mirror, some duct tape wrapped around a lighter, a very light knife which is sharp enough for self surgery with a double D edge, a needle and thread, ample ibuprofen for reducing swelling and I use a compression bandage as padding for my camera. I cut a heavy duty garbage bag in half for a single sheet which is an ultralight tarp, and always have two headlamps with 1 set of extra batteries.

Although I seldom use them I also have two extremely light foam knee pads strapped on the outside of my pack for setting up shots on my knees or if I have to crawl out of an area due to and ankle injury.

I also really like having a diluted mixture of hand soap and water in a spray bottle in my van with a towel or paper towels handy depending on what I am cleaning. Thick soap can require a long rinse which wastes water. The thinner soap mixture is much easier to work with and can be used for many things from washing ones face and hands to spraying dishes to soften up food, and wahing or rinsing food containers. I try not to create a lot of waste with towelettes or handy wipes and just use a towel, old dish towels and when absolutely needed paper towels.

A $10 pair of heavy welding gloves are just so nice to BBQ and cook with. No more scortched hands or waiting for grills, propane burners, or any hot item to cool down. You can grab burning logs with them if needed.

Love the voice recorder better than taking notes as well.

Some of you guys seem to be starting small settlements with all the stuff you carry

Quote Originally Posted by Alpacaman View Post
    Some of you guys seem to be starting small settlements with all the stuff you carry
    LOL. Agreed.

3d Visual Effects artist

toothpaste and toothbrush, especially if I'm on a hike that requires meal breaks. But I usually bring beef jerky to snack on while I'm out hiking, so I'll usually bring the toothbrush anyway. It's just nice :-)

Extra bolts and wingnuts for my Ries tripod legs, I've had one of the wingnuts walk out on me once, and ever since then I've carried a few spares. And I 2nd (or 3rd, which ever, hah!) the suggestion of a head-band LED flashlight. Mine has both a dimmable white light, and a red light. The red light is nice for times when you don't want to flash your eyes at night (or other peoples).

Bungee straps, never really know what I'll need them for, but I often find them of use for something. And a small first-aid kit. While I've never actually needed to use it, last month while out hiking I did stumble upon a hiker that had developed some nice blisters on his feet (new boots I guess?), and he made good use of a few of the band-aids that I had.

If I'm out in the jeep, I'll take 6 gallons of water, and my full tool bag (which weighs almost as much as the water, hah!) along with rope, tape and stuff like that. If not for me and vehicle/equipment, possibly for someone else that I might encounter along the way. I've been helped out while out on a trail before, and it's always nice to repay that kindness to others!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

+1

On a good day, I remember to bring colour and black&white film.

The best way is to go photograph with someone who carries all that stuff!

While photographing the various sites of Yellowstone, I was introduced to the use of bear bells hooked to a camera pack. I have yet to encounter a bear in the wilds of Denver.

Joshua Tree, California

Toilet paper and a comb for removing cholla spines