Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norton antivirus warning

Vanannan

Re: Norton antivirus warning

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jonathan View Post
    No problem with the latest versions of Firefox and Norton Antivirus 2010.

Note: I'm only using plain old Norton "Antivirus", which sits quietly and does it's job, but doesn't interfere with any operations or cpu performance. I am NOT using the "Norton Internet Security" package, or whatever it's called these days.

The Internet Security suites are pains in the ass, and cause a lot of problems.

I'm a computer technician, and I see people's computers have lots of trouble with these security software packages because the default settings are designed to annoy the crap out of you.
    Thanks for the info , I am using the "Norton Internet Security" package which I updated to the latest version a couple of days ago, maybe thats my problem? I have also recently installed the Windows security package could there be a conflict?

Vanannan

I have just tried Firefox again and here I am, No warnings, maybe it was the little green men , perhaps the man from Tonapah could advise

Virustotal says the site is clean. You may want to check whether you hit a hostile site in some other window - cross-site scripting attacks sometimes get misattributed.

Has Been LF Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    I have not, historically, been a fan of Microsoft ... but their free new "Security Essentials" seems to pretty good, definitely worth the asking price anyway. I dumped Symantec and so far haven't had any problems with "Security Essentials" - and it caught an issue that Symantec never noticed.
    My computer tech put Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer, which uses Firefox, several months ago. Smooth, effective, non-intrusive. It's like it isn't there.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft in the least, but this seems to work well.

Off thread....has anyone had any problems in the last month with Alan Ross's site? The last time I visited, a virus implanted itself immediately. I was able to rid the computer of it within the hour, but it was a pain. Either it was some kind of hack on his site that some a%%h!@#$ put there or it was a timed thing that just so happened to activate at the moment I visited. Using IE8 and PC.

I'd love to go back there again, but am being cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    OK with Explorer now, no change with Firefox, strange
    I thought you said it was an issue with Norton rather than your browsers?
    I use a Mac with Firefox and Safari with no problems.

I had Norton on my Windows laptop once and it was crap. Get AVG free and Malwarebytes which is a one-off payment and you're well covered.

Scott Brewer

Don't run both anti viruses. They don't like that (especially Norton). Security Essentials seems to be a good program. I am trying it on a netbook before installing it on my main pc.
    I don't trust AVG (at least the free version). Most of the virus removals I have to deal with are running AVG free.

I spent years in the PC world. I am retired Novel and Microsoft network engineer. I started with Heathkit PC kit in 86 ...

About a year ago i bought an APPLE MACINTOSH G5 quad for 500 bucks... wow wow not only is it faster than any PC i have ever used. I dont worry about viruses, i dont even have a virus program. And It runs my old PC monitor.

Just an out of the box suggestion to your Norton warning and virus concerns. If you can afford it try a MAC just try it..... it just works ... all the time

I usually use a Mac with either Safari, or Firefox, with no problems. I sometimes use the family PC, but have not had any issues on that either.
    Keith

Last night browsing on the Forum my IE stopped working. After several reboot i gave up and started looking for PC and virus support from my Iphone.
    Found Iyoga and after consulting with them desided to give them a go. It took about an hour of clean-up but IE is again working, don't know for how long but i hope the problem is resolved.
    I believe the problem started while in the Image Sharing and Discussion thread.