Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing camera!

Help choosing camera!

I need some advice regarding choosing equipment. I currently have a Pacemaker Speed Graphic with the Aero-Ektar 178/2.5 and it's a wonderful combination. But I rarely use it, I think it's to heavy to bulk around with.

I will use the camera for mostly landscapes and nature, but maybe also some architecture. And I got really interested in a panoramic camera (6x17) but I also like the 4x5 format. How is it to use a 6x17 adaptor on a 4x5 camera? Do you get good results comparing to a dedicated panoramic camera? I will use the camera on a tripod. Now I'm trying to figure out witch camera I should choose and what (lets say 3) lenses to get and I'm hoping YOU can help me

Thanks!

Re: Help choosing camera!

I did ask about using a roll back of 6x17 on 4x5 here but then the comments or posts showing me that it is not a good idea, buying a dedicated 6x17 is better, i asked also if i will use only tripod, but seems even with tripod it is not a better choice, so maybe i have to forget about that roll back and try to find 6x17 camera cheap new.
    Meanwhile, i am so happy with 4x5, so i will spend time to use 4x5 as it is my first time to use LF, later i will worry about 6x17.

Stefan

If you use a 6x17 back on a 4x5 camera, you will run into some issues with wide and long lenses. The back moves the film plane back, so depending on choice of camera, you might have trouble focusing to infinity with a very wide lens. Long lenses (I've read up to 150mm is no problem) will start cutting off the sides of the image. In theory, I guess there should be vignetting from extensive movements with a wide lenses as well, but I do not know if this is a real problem.

The above might of course not be a problem for you, depending on your choice of lenses and camera.

Lachlan 717

It's not that a roll film back is a bad thing; it is a LIMITED thing.

If you're not intending to use wide or long lenses, it could be a perfect choice.

Just understand the limitations of the design before making a decision either way.

As for lenses, perhaps give some indication of what you want to do. Do you want to shoot wide? Do you want to shoot long? Landscapes? Urban? Portraits? Macro? Tabletop? Sport? Cityscapes? Only then will we be able to assist you with information/recommendations...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks for you advice! I'm mainly going to shoot landscapes, nature, cityscapes but also some portraits and editoral.

I need some advice on what camera to choose and what 3 lenses I should start out with. I looking for something more flexible then the combo I have today.

In fact the only 2 things i want to shoot 6x17 for are landscapes and some cityscape or urban/architecture, and i don't need to shoot very wide because that 6x17 will be wide enough than wider normal, so i can use normal lens and i will be happy.

Also limiting for me can be a bad thing, if i have between two choices and one is limiting then for sure i will go for un-limiting option, but i know that money-budget is another limiting factor, so i have to see whether design/movements limiting is more important than money limiting option.

Stefan

Wanting to shoot cityscapes and some architecture, you are going to need a camera which is fairly friendly to wide angle movements. Landscape, nature, portrait means you might want somewhat long lenses, as well as good front movements. I do not think you will need a lot of, if any, back movements for what you do.

I also assume you want something fairly light and small, since you said the Speed Graphic with Aero Ektar was too bulky and rarely used.

I'd take a look at the Chamonix 045N-2. For more ruggedness/stability and geared front movements, you could get a Wista VX. For more movements, maybe a Shen Hao TZ45-IIB. The later two would probably need bag bellows, the Chamonix has universal bellows.

Octogenarian

Look for a 5x7 camera that has an international back with Graflok sliders.

Get a 6x17 roll film holder and a 4x5 reducing back. That way, you will be able to choose from three different formats on the same camera.

More versatile and less expensive than a Linhof or Fuji dedicated 6x17 camera.

If roll film is not the issue, I would suggest a 4x5 and crop when needed to panoramic. Closer to 6x12 instead of 6x17 if one splits the 4x5 in half. Or use a modified darkslide and get two images per sheet of 4x5 with the same proportions as 6x17.

Keeps the amount of equipment to a minimum and easy to enlarge with the more common 4x5 enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Look for a 5x7 camera that has an international back with Graflok sliders.

Get a 6x17 roll film holder and a 4x5 reducing back. That way, you will be able to choose from three different formats on the same camera.

More versatile and less expensive than a Linhof or Fuji dedicated 6x17 camera.
    It sound like the ultimate sollution, but wouldn't I have the same limitations with the focus that Lachlan 617 mentioned before?