Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom accessories need suggestions

Darkroom accessories need suggestions

So I got an LPL 4X5 enlarger, it comes with 35mm and 66 film holder but not the 4X5 holder.
    Should I get a glassless holder or a glass holder?
    Easel, I will print upto 1114, right now only up to 810. Any suggestions on easel?
    Focus loupe, any suggestions?
    I have already have trays, timer, paper safe and paper washer, safe light. What else does I miss?

Re: Darkroom accessories need suggestions

A glass holder leaves you with four surfaces extra that you must clean, and that can attract dust, and that add another layer of slight optical distortion to your enlarger's optical path. As a rule, always use glassless unless:

1) you desire printing to the rebate/edge of the film, or

2) you are doing something that requires a long exposure time in the enlarger; the glass holders will help to suppress and mitigate the heat-warping that usually occurs when a negative has been exposed to more than a minute of continuous enlarger light.

Buy the best focus loupe you can afford; going from 4x5 (or even MF) to 8x10, this is a bit less critical...

Quote Originally Posted by theBDT View Post
    A glass holder leaves you with four surfaces extra that you must clean, and that can attract dust, and that add another layer of slight optical distortion to your enlarger's optical path. As a rule, always use glassless unless: ...
    ... and for a directly contrary opinion: As a rule always use glass neg carriers with 4x5. This will help ensure sharpness across the negative by completely eliminating bowing of the negative. Yes, as BDT points out, more surfaces means more potential for dust to be a problem, but that problem is not insurmountable with a bit of care. I dont believe the additional glass surfaces will have any perceptible impact on image quality if you keep them clean.

Seeing as you have to buy a carrier then I'd seriously consider Lynn Radeka's pin registration carrier system. It will open up a whole host of new techniques for you to master ...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Should I get a glassless holder or a glass holder?
    Depends what bothers you more - the hassle of cleaning and/or spotting, or ending up with prints that are inconsistently sharp, both across the picture area within prints and comparing one print to another.

FWIW, I have most of the glassless carriers for the 4x5 LPL, but over the last couple of years I've moved almost entirely to the universal glass carrier.

For focusing, I use the classic Micromega, now sold as the Peak Critical Enlarging Focuser Model 1. Yes, I think it's worth the money.

It's hard to recommend a reasonably-priced easel from among products currently available new - the selection is pretty limited now. Among products only available second hand, I have a couple of the classic Saunders 14x17 easels that have served me well for ~20 years, though better ones exist if you want to spend serious money.

I scored a used Saunders four blade easel that goes to 20x24 for the princely sum of $30 from a Lab that was going digital.
    Craigs List is your friend

Ganz Speed E-Zls were my default easels but I couldn't get Kentemere DW to work in 'em.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Sounds like you're equipped.
    Get a stereo player in that darkroom; music, red lights, sound of running water...
    Either you'll be very productive, or get very sleepy

I like the Speed E-Zls too and that's mostly what I use.

I'm impressed at how simple and useful they are. When I was in high school, I chose to build my own 11x14 one in metalshop. Came out fine mechanically, but I couldn't get it painted as nicely as the genuine article. They are cheap now used and I bought a whole darkroom lot for $10 at a lawnsale just to get a couple more.

Of course you'll need trays (I like the patterson ones), funnel, tongs (bamboo from the local kitchen store), clothespins and insulated wire to dry the prints/negatives on. You might need some VC filters if you're using VC paper and don't have a color head. You might want something to dust negatives with.

Oh, it might be good to pick up a spare bulb(s) for the enlarger on Ebay as funds permit. Having a spare bulb in a box on the shelf either makes it so you never need it which is good, or it makes you look all prepared like a boyscout on the ultra-rare occasion when you need one.

For an easel, I recommend the Saunders Slimtrack. Very precise and smooth operating, as well as simple and compact. Can do up to 11x14.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I scored a used Saunders four blade easel that goes to 20x24 for the princely sum of $30 from a Lab that was going digital.
    Craigs List is your friend (
    That is a terrific buy and I am justly jealous: I bought a new Saunders 20x24 Universal easel a couple of years ago from a local supplier for $500. a great easel, though, regardless of what you pay for it (within reason, of course).