Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A hard case for multiple filters?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: A hard case for multiple filters?

I haven't seen a 4" (100mm) wafer storage box for over a decade, let alone a 3" that would be more appropriate for most people, I think. Everything around here is now 6" or 8" (I'm an electrical engineer in the IC industry by day). Surplus would be the way to go for 3", if they're not all scrapped by now. My employer, a specialty semiconductor maker, scrapped its 3" fab at least 15 years ago, and we tend to lag the industry!!

How about plastic petri dishes with lids - 100mm x 15mm - on the auction site they go very for less than $10 for a set of 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    I haven't seen a 4" (100mm) wafer storage box for over a decade,...
    Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'industry' :-)

Our clean rooms are directed at academic research, startups making prototypes, and larger companies trying oddball things on a contract basis. We go down to 1", but there's no automated handling. The more production and small-batch oriented clean rooms I've used across the water in Denmark and elsewhere in Sweden have a minimum size of 3" for silicon, smaller for other semiconductors.

The only filter I use in the field is a polariser, and even that tends to get used more as an ND filter, so I don't follow my own advice when it comes to filters. I do however have a bunch of 4" and 6" wafer boxes for keeping lenses in when not mounted on boards. Perfect - if you can find a supply.

Any other comments or ideas for storing filters? Do the wallets really offer any protection?
    Thanks for helping another newb.

Tins for pipe tobacco. The round ones with the screw top are rugged steel---you supply the cushion/dividers to keep 'em from ratteling around inside. 4" filters should fit just right. You can even identify you filters by tobacco blend---MacBaren's Latakia Blend for a yellow-green, maybe Dan Milonga for a K2 or Dunhill London Mixture for a red.
    I've kept my dry flies in a Douwe Egbert tin for decades.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White