Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodinal replacement?

Rodinal replacement?

I for many years used Rodinal exclusively for my film devolopment .
    With the demise of Agfa can anyone suggest a replacement with the same properties
    or where i may get some Rodinal if at all still available.
    I have settled on Fuji acros 100 as my film but i have only developed in 120roll in Rodinal (loved this combo). Cheers Gary

Claes Uhnér

Re: Rodinal replacement?

You can still get Rodinal, albeit under a different name: http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotoche...-rezeptur.html

Stefan

From what I understand, the one issue with Rodinal replacements is their packaging. The bottles are not of the same quality as what Agfa used, and they are not filled under a gas (which keeps the oxygen out).

Im using Calbe R09 which is also a type of Rodinal. Great results, but I have read much about the poor packaging reducing shelf life. In glass bottles filled under inert gas, with rubber stopper, it lasts forever.

I've never seen Rodinal in a glass bottle. I've used it, very occasionally, over twenty or so years and it always came in a plastic bottle.

Nick

Compard "R09 One Shot" or Adox Adonal are supposed to be the same as Rodinal. I don't know how these compare to each other, the original, or other R09 formulations. I would suggest a film test, but I use R09 One Shot and get consistent results and have not noticed any departure.

Couldn't you pour it into your own glass bottle and top off with that inert gas spray then seal?

Smile Re: Rodinal replacement?

Thanks Claus, Now i must get some to Australia with all our regulation i am sure there will be a law against just buying it on the internet (it will be classified as a dangerous chemical). Cheers Gary

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    From what I understand, the one issue with Rodinal replacements is their packaging. The bottles are not of the same quality as what Agfa used, and they are not filled under a gas (which keeps the oxygen out).

Im using Calbe R09 which is also a type of Rodinal. Great results, but I have read much about the poor packaging reducing shelf life. In glass bottles filled under inert gas, with rubber stopper, it lasts forever.

Rodinal is still made & packaged in exactly the same bottles, the issue with the name change is due mainly to J&C registering the Rodinal name in the US. As the trade name belongs to Agfa who pulled out of the photographic market they've no interest in clearing the legal issues and so the name had to change, so while it's made in the same factory as before in bulk it's made in batches for various distributors who put their own new names on the packaging.

The Calbe.Orwo RO9 is the older formula but has itself been altered, just the concentration so that it's dilutions match the Compard/Adox version, it does not keeps as well as the formula is slightly older & packaging not as good.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    Thanks Claus, Now i must get some to Australia with all our regulation i am sure there will be a law against just buying it on the internet (it will be classified as a dangerous chemical). Cheers Gary
    Vanbar appear to sell it here.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Collas View Post
    I've never seen Rodinal in a glass bottle. I've used it, very occasionally, over twenty or so years and it always came in a plastic bottle.

Nick
    It did come in glass bottles way back, but after that it came packaged in plastic bottles. The difference with the "substitute" packaging and old Agfa Rodinal bottles is the plastic used (high quality PE), as well as the inert gas filling.

And yes, the problems I talked about refer only to some of the "substitutes". It is very well possible that identical Rodinal from the same factory, using the same bottles, is still sold.