Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Decorating an old Linhof Technika IV

Re: Decorating an old Linhof Technika IV

I drive a blue Volvo, my wardrobe consists of white, black, grey, dark blue, and dark green.

The first one is the old V I peeled and covered in the $34.50 cameraleather.com VH covering. It turned out great and other than lacking the top flap, was pretty close to being a Master Technika.

The other three pictures are what I am aiming for, it's what I used ca. 2003 and regret not sticking with, it is the absolute cockroach of cameradom. It was a cheap beater IV, with a Crown Graphic bellows and focusing hood. I used it raw like this and it worked fine, although I think I should probably tape over the holes to keep dust out of the body this time around. I might even go back to the Arca head and plate... Alas the Readyloads are pointless.

If you remember my infamous photo.net days, I got banned for posting that it was a secret CIA NASA space mission Technika worth $20K and some damn fools believed me.

Ferrari red with one of these Prancing Moose stickers on it:

http://www.davebarton.com/VolvoPrancingMoose.html

Pick up a couple extra for your Volvo while you're at it.

I like those!

You could do the quasi-military thing with a version of semi-matte olive drab, like I did on this M2 beater. Done with DuraCoat and an air brush, available in a zillion colors from military flat to pimp-level glossy. Once cured this stuff is as nearly bulletproof as an applied liquid finish can get--it was formulated for severe service durability on firearms.

"If you remember my infamous photo.net days, I got banned for posting that it was a secret CIA NASA space mission Technika worth $20K and some damn fools believed me."
    When I was with Beseler I was the Product Manager for Topcon and in those days both the Navy (periscope camera) and the FBI were using the Topcon Super D. We once ran an ad with a drawing of a guy in a trenccoat wearing a slough hat peering around a street corner with a Super D Topcon in his hands. The ad said that "we can't say who we are but we use the Topcon Super D"

We received a letter from a 3 letter agency asking us to stop running the ad as some of their people were attacked while carrying the Super D while apparently working undercover.

This of course was in the early 70s so no one should assume that if someone is carrying that camera now that they are employeed by the government.

www.cameraleather.com -- in red...

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Quote Originally Posted by picker77 View Post
    You could do the quasi-military thing with a version of semi-matte olive drab, like I did on this M2 beater. Done with DuraCoat and an air brush, available in a zillion colors from military flat to pimp-level glossy. Once cured this stuff is as nearly bulletproof as an applied liquid finish can get--it was formulated for severe service durability on firearms.
    That looks super nice. I just checked out DuraCoat and they have almost 200 colors! Lots of nice choices.

I think I'm wimping out and going for the red nylon Chinese bellows and black cheap cameraleather.com replacement covering. Then I can claim it's an "upgraded to a Linhof Technika 2000" like these bozos: http://cgi.ebay.com/LINHOF-TECHNIKA-...item2a0e618410

When you get fired from all your legit copywriting jobs in the free world you can always go to China and lie. But then they would just copy you so you'd never be paid.

funkadelic

Frank,
    Why stress over the camera? In six months you will have sold it and moved on to another one anyway. Just use it!

Chris

Because I can make $1900 by upgrading it!