Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petzval Closeup / Macro Photos Anyone?

ARS KC2UU

Petzval Closeup / Macro Photos Anyone?

Greetings:

I'm wondering if anyone has had success using Petzval lenses in extreme closeup / macro photos?

I tried one of mine last week to see how close it would focus and I got this shot at about 10-12 inches from the subject.

But there seems to be a point where it just won't focus if I bring the lens in any closer.

So my next trial is to take it outside and see what closeups I can get. I really like the shallow depth of focus and what it's doing to the background.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Re: Petzval Closeup / Macro Photos Anyone?

Rob, two thoughts.

First, the minimum front node-to-subject distance is the lens' focal length. You can't get quite that close because it corresponds to infinite magnification which requires infinite extension. Your camera is shorter than that.

Second, the way we work close up is to set extension to get the desired magnification, then move the entire camera-lens assembly to put the plane of best focus where we want it. Try doing that. If you run out of extension, well, you've hit your gear's limit.

Confidently Agnostic!

Did this out in the forest, maybe 1:1 or so on the negative. Photosig reviewers trashed it. "It's not in focus and I'm confused!"

Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

Not exactly macro, but not too far from 1:1...

Artichoke-y... by Scott --, on Flickr

ARS KC2UU

Walter:

I like it. Exactly the kind of thing I'm planning to try with my Petzval once the winter glacier melts and things start growing again.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Walter:

I like it. Exactly the kind of thing I'm planning to try with my Petzval once the winter glacier melts and things start growing again.
    Why not go out now and photo the intricate ice formations, the hoar frost that builds up thick on everything outside, and the finely sculpted snow formations? Winter is absolutely my favorite time of year. I love the stark white landscapes, and the sound snow makes as it squeaks beneath my boots when it's below zero.

Ice is to winter as flowers are to spring.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Here is one of a gord taken with a 5.5 inch derogy.

gords with provia 100F

Not sure is this is "macro" enough...
    Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
    http://www.pbase.com/kds315/ for UV Images and lens/filter info
    http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Why not go out now and photo the intricate ice formations, the hoar frost that builds up thick on everything outside, and the finely sculpted snow formations? Winter is absolutely my favorite time of year. I love the stark white landscapes, and the sound snow makes as it squeaks beneath my boots when it's below zero.

Ice is to winter as flowers are to spring.

Kent in SD
    Kent: I certainly agree with you about winter and much prefer the season over all others. I almost never get chilled no matter how cold and stay outdoors endlessly in winter.

And I certainly would do what you say now if there was anything left (reasonably) sanitary to photograph around here.

I work just across the river from Manhattan and live about 25-miles further West.

The filth outside here now after several weeks of no snow and several days of 40F+ is disgusting beyond description. Almost nowhere to go where it isn't filthy with soot and discarded trash. The level of filth even caught the Sierra Club's attention here recently with newspaper articles by its director Jeff Tittel.

But you can bet I'll be out there soon when we get a cleansing rain or snowfall.

This one not exactly a closeup but done before our recent snowfall became so badly adulterated.

Cheers. Bob G.