Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Film Holders

Re: Film Holders

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Where to find the zip lock bags to order online?
    I buy mine from the local supermarket. I like "Spartan" brand bags because they're the only ones around who carry the 2-gallon size.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Ziploc bags

Do a Google search on Ziploc, and you will see plenty of online stores. You can get them custom printed, too.

A most interesting thread. Having recently acquired a Super Speed Graphic, I've been going round and round with the "How Do I Mark Film Holders?" issue for some time. In the 1960's, when I had a Century Graphic 2x3, all I had was a roll film back; film holders weren't an issue. But ne'er the less, that dark slide had to be put in some way so I could tell if the back was loaded or not by just looking at it. I finally put spots of red paint on one edge of the dark slide and put them out (back?) when there was film in it.

I've decided on the aforementioned "light - white" convention mentioned earlier. Black side out if the film inside is unexposed; white out if it is. Used steel wool to clean the grey corroded surfaces of the dark slide's bare aluminum part. I'll use some aluminum blackening stuff to well-darken the black side; paint that's on them comes off. The four bumps on the Riteway filmholder dark slide's bright aluminum tell me that side's exposed. Meanwhile, I've just been putting holders with exposed film in them in the bag hinge-end up. Not gonna do that any more.

I applaud the person who mentioned rubber-banding holders that are exposed. Never thought of that, but had some concerns about how to tell the difference between holders with exposed film in them and others holding unexposed film. Three cheers to you and the others mentioning it.

I remember some time ago about the black side of the slide should be out if it's over exposed film because B&W negative film exposed to light is black after it's developed. Don't know if this is the reasoning but I can see the logic of it.

I suppose which side one puts out for whatever reason is much like women and politics. Go with whatever makes you feel the best and is the most rewarding and fool proof for you; based on how you think and what's important.

Lightbulb Re: Film Holders

Quote Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
    I remember some time ago about the black side of the slide should be out if it's over exposed film because B&W negative film exposed to light is black after it's developed.
    I've heard that rationale, but I think it's specious.

The film is never developed while in the holder, so what difference does it make?

- Leigh

About the dark slide's handle/tab color that's supposed to be out if the film under it's exposed, does any film holder's instructions (camera's, too) state what the standard/preffered/proper way is?

The internet's encylopaedia "Wikipedia" says about the dark slides:
    Many dark slides have differently colored bands or handles on each side, one usually light and the other dark, to allow the photographer to distinguish between film which has been exposed and that which hasn't.
    with no mention of how they're supposed to be used. Nor does my Super Speed Graphic's manuals.

If there's some company's standard on this, I'd like to know which one it is and what they say's the correct way to use them. Here's one site with great details about loading and using film holders and what color should be out/in:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

I try to keep it simple. I write the film type on the white side with a china marker. White side out means unexposed film and black side out means exposed. I pull the dark slide out a couple of inches on empty holders.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

http://www.uline.com/Grp_5/Poly-Bags-Reclosable

good selection of sizes and thicknesses.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    http://www.uline.com/Grp_5/Poly-Bags-Reclosable

good selection of sizes and thicknesses.

Roger
    I didn't realize that in most carton have 1000 bags, makes it kind of expensive. Sorry.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
    . . . If there's some company's standard on this, I'd like to know which one it is and what they say's the correct way to use them. . . .
    Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Lester, 4th. ed., 1944, states, "When this slide is replaced in the holder after the film has been loaded into it, the raised dots should face outward. . . . After an exposure is made the slide is replaced in the holder with these raised dots of the bright metalic side facing inside. The darkened side of the handle will now indicate that the film has been exposed. This is universally adapted code famliar to all experienced photographers, who can at a glance can tell which of their film holders contain exposed negatives. The insertion of the slide in the holder following loading, with the raised dots outside -- and the reinsertion of the slide following an exposure, with its darkened side outside, should become a part of a rigid routine which will preclude double exposures and other mishaps. The same should be said about the simple but most frequently forgotten part of the routine; the withdrawal of the slide itselv before each exposure, and its replacement immediately after each exposure, before anything else is done." The 11th edition, 1958, briefly restates the same information.

The Navy training course, Photographer's Mate 3 of 1958 says, "Replace the dark slide with the BRIGHT side facing outward to indicate that the film is ready for exposure. Turn the catch or hook over the top of the dark slide to prevent accidental withdrawal. After exposing the film reinsert the dark slide with the black side of the handle facing outward to indicate that the film has been exposed."

Such rules are important when several photographers may use the same film holders. When working alone, we can disregard them. It's like driving on the right side of the road (in most countries); it prevents unfortunate mishaps involving others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    This is universally adapted code famliar to all experienced photographers...
    Obviously, they never met us!

Sometimes I think that the only "universal" characteristic among photographers is that we use cameras... and then I remember photograms. *Sigh*

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.