Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ries tripod for Deardorff

Re: Ries tripod for Deardorff

Riccia:

Be aware that the 'dorff uses a 1/4"-20 mounting screw. Heads commonly accept 3/8"-16 screws, so the A100 is usually provided with that. AIR, Ries will customize it anyway you wish, but if you subsequently want to mount a head, you'll need an adapter (cheap and widely available).

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by JosephBurke View Post
    The Ries heads are very nice and I have an A250 head but I prefer My Gitzo 1570M over the Ries head. If you wanted a J-Series Tripod I could hook you up with a nice one--and a head.
    --Joe Burke
    The J-Series is not suitable for an 8x10, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Riccia:

Be aware that the 'dorff uses a 1/4"-20 mounting screw. Heads commonly accept 3/8"-16 screws, so the A100 is usually provided with that. AIR, Ries will customize it anyway you wish, but if you subsequently want to mount a head, you'll need an adapter (cheap and widely available).

Charley
    Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Riccis View Post
    The J-Series is not suitable for an 8x10, correct?
    Good Question!

I recently purchased a used Ries J100 with J250 double tilt head. Both the head and tripod are rated at 16lbs. Ries is very conservative with their ratings and their tripods and heads are known to hold more than they are rated at.

I have had a Wehman 8x10 on it and the J100 handled it with no problem. The Wehman weighed 8.7 lbs camera alone.

What does your Deardorff weigh? I'm guessing about 12 lbs plus your heaviest lens and a film holder.

The A100 is a fantastic tripod, that is until you have to pick it up. If you could get by with the J100 it would really save your back!

Has anyone out there had any experience using a J100 with a Deardorff V8?

I have a J 100-2, which has the J 100 yoke and the legs of an A 100, and Ries says it supports cameras up to 16 pounds. I use a J 250 double tilt head also, and Ries rates it for 16 pounds of camera. This combination has worked well with my Deardorff 8X10. Even so, the Ries A-series tripods and heads look great, but I'm just going with what I've got now.

Keith

Thanks for your input, Keith!

I use an A100 and A250 head to help maintain my upper body strength.

The pod also has to support a good proportion of my considerable body weight (along with the camera pack that would be 275lbs) while hiking/climbing. On my recent trip to Death Valley I had to use it many times to help lower myself (w/ pack on) down vertical drops (4' to 8') while photographing in narrow canyons. Probably not the recommended usage of the pod!LOL!