Thread: Does an Epson 4990 need a Firewire?

W K Longcor

Does an Epson 4990 need a Firewire?

OK - to begin, I use a computer -- type, surf, etc. BUT only know enough to be dangerous.
    I got myself a really nice Epson 4990 scanner a few months ago. I am actually suprised at how easy it is to use. My first results have been pretty good. The scans do take a long time, though. Someone suggested that if I used a "firewire" rather than the supplied usb connection, it would speed up data transfer -- therefore speeding up the scan. Is that true???
    If so, just what do I need? My local Staples store seems to have different types of firewire cords -- 4 pin -- 6 pin --etc --??

Re: Does an Epson 4990 need a Firewire?

Actually USB 2.0 maxes out at 480Mbps while Firewire maxes out at 400Mbps. So unless you are doing a lot of stuff on the USB bus at the same time USB 2.0 is going to be about the same speed as Firewire or faster. I kind of doubt that the Epson 4990 is ever IO-bound anyways. In other words I don't think the Epson 4990 can max out either bus in most cases.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Agree with domaz, USB should be more than enough.

W K Longcor

Thank you, both. I'll stick with what I've got.
    I've got to say, this scanning business has a lot going for it. My fingers don't smell from the residue of chemicals. My back doesn't hurt from standing over a sink until 4 in the morning. Not bad! And so far - most of my scans are coming out pretty good looking.

What speed are you scanning at?

It's common that people scan at too high resolution, thinking they are getting best quality. In fact, there is a speed at which you exceed, there is no real advantage in the scan. I don't know the specifications of the 4990, but it's a new enough scanner that you may be exceeding efficient scan resolution, which geometrically increases the length of time to complete the scan. This also creates files that are far bigger in byte size than may be necessary, thereby increasing processing time in post processing.

Perhaps some of those people who are using that scanner can relate their experience for efficient scanning to reduce scan times. Perhaps you have been through this already, but thought I'd mention it.

The time the scanner is taking is more scanner configuration related than data transfer speed related.