Thread: Happy Isles Question

Happy Isles Question

I generally make an effort to avoid shooting in Yosemite Valley, but I've got this crazy idea to see how granite would look on ortho. In particularly the granite at Happy Isles since I want to avoid photographing the sky 'cause I'm not particulary fond of how ortho renders the sky (for those unfamiliar with Happy Isles, it is "walled in" on most of it's sides by steep cliff faces.) Anyway, what I'd like to ask the Yosemite experts here is what Happy Isles is like, light-wise in late March. Does it get illuminated by the sun early? Late? Or not at all except when the sun is overhead?
    I also suspect capturing shadow detail will be a genuine concern, especially if the Pacific Dogwoods have leafed(not to mention blurry leaves from movement )
    Its a silly question I know, but Ortho-Litho is sloooow film and I've got a minimum of film holders so I'll likely have to return to camp and reload at least twice during the day so the amount of sunlight available is a high priority.
    Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Happy Isles Question

John,

I can't say for sure about March, but I can tell you about early May. Light DOES hit Happy Isles, and I want to say as early as 9:30am or so. Probably later in May. But the sun will hit the area for a number of hours before it starts to hide behind Glacier Pt. in the early afternoon. Of course this is unscientific...;-)

If you really would like extended time among the boulders of granite I might suggest some alternative locations. Almost anywhere along the south wall of the valley will remain in shade for most of the day, especially in the winter months. You could try the walk to Mirror Lake and take the south side of Tenaya Creek. You can access that trail from the Stables. Another option is to park at the Chapel and straight out of the end of the parking lot and hit the valley loop trail there. Head either direction, but heading east/NE towards the Le Conte Memorial and Curry Village is a gold mine of giant boulders, Big Leaf Maple, Canyon oak, etc. etc. Great stuff in there.

Happy Isles is better if you want to include water; also very interesting and great potential of Granite and water along the trail to Mirror Lake. You might want to check, but a rock slide closed that trail a couple of years ago. Not sure how far down the trail from the Stables or if it's been cleared and opened.

Anyway, suggested those areas because you could have extended time without direct sun. Obviously, if you get rain/snow or overcast you're free to roam anywhere. March will be a perfect time to visit because there will be very few visitors. Most of the trees will NOT be leafing out in March though.

One last suggestion is to take highway 140 to the park. Tons of rock (quite literally!) along the way and the Merced will be running real good.

Have fun!

Lon

Thanks Lon!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,

Lon's got you headed the right direction.

In March, you'll have little if any direct light at Happy Isles. The entire south side of the valley is in permanent shadow in the winter months. Snow can sit for months in the shadows on that side of the valley.

And as he said, no leaves in March. Dogwood doesn't typically bloom in YV until the last two weeks of April and the first two weeks of May. I often take classes out to HI in May, and we usually have indirect light (shining on the Apron below Glacier Point first) and gradually making its way toward the river. So, for most of the morning there is that lovely glow of light softly illuminating the forest.

His suggestions for boulders are good, and I'll add a few. The rock near Bridalveil Fall is in shade for half the day (morning) and has wonderful texture. The same goes for the boulders along the trail to lower Yosemite Falls, which are in shade in the afternoon. And the trail that goes from the Mirror Lake bus stop over to Happy Isles has some wonderful rock. Interesting trees, too.

The rockfall near Mirror Lake closed the trail on the south side of Tenaya Creek so that it is no longer possible to do the loop around the lake, but one can walk partway on the south side (it is closed at the equivalent of 3 on a clock face), and open three quarters of the way around (from 4 pm all the way round to 1 pm using the same visual).

But his best recommendation is to explore the Merced River canyon, with all its twists and turns, there is always something in the shade, and the rock is wonderful.

Thanks, Keith!