Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North or South Carolina - Kudzu quest

North or South Carolina - Kudzu quest

I have an opportunity to spend a week south at the end of Feb after a business meeting.
    Thinking about a week tracking down Kudzu images, any locals out there with information on great areas to spend some time photographing.
    We would like to hunker down in one region and spend four or five days exploring .
    Any help would be appreciated.

My last trip to this area I was spell bound by this wandering plant and now to make some art.

Re: North or South Carolina - Kudzu quest

Mississippi and Alabama are prime kudzu territory.

Jim

any specific areas to hunker down in an efficiency motel ?, I am open to any State I just want to go to the mother load and explore with a camera.
    I will be in Louisville first then we have a week to look for these plants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    Mississippi and Alabama are prime kudzu territory.

I've seen some pretty good stands of Kudzu near Franklin SC. Take the train ride and you'll see more.

Pressman's Home, Tennessee (near Johnson City in the far northeast corner of the state - most maps will show it as Camelot, rather than its original name of Pressman's Home). Kudzu is taking over a bunch of abandoned buildings. Creepy.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Thinking about a week tracking down Kudzu images, any locals out there with information on great areas to spend some time photographing?
    My last trip to this area I was spell bound by this wandering plant and now to make some art.
    You must be joking! The entire south got infested by that infernal weed. We're losing as much as 150,000 acres every year to its spread.

You can find it easily anywhere in the southeast, from VA to FL to LA. For a photographer, I'd recommend the mountains from NC to GA. Lots of kudzu and the hills give it some elevation to make it easier to find interesting framing and compositions.

While you're at it, you might as well photograph wisteria. Another infernal weed, but with prettier flowers that smell nice for a few weeks in the spring. But it'll crush the life out of a 200 year old pine tree without working up a sweat. I know from experience it can take seven years or more to rid your yard of wisteria. Talk about tenacious!

Bruce Watson

Bruce I am not joking at all.

I was visiting a photographer last fall in SC and we came down the interstate from Philly in a horrendous storm, my wife as always was driving an I was half asleep as always, looking out the window into the rain and mist I started to see creatures from a bad acid trip. no shit I have never heard of this plant and now I need to get some images.
    Completely caught me off gaurd now I want to land myself in the mother load area stay for awhile and explore , hope the weather is lousy and raining.
    I've got some ideas for this infernal (beautiful looking ) weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    You must be joking! The entire south got infested by that infernal weed. We're losing as much as 150,000 acres every year to its spread.

You can find it easily anywhere in the southeast, from VA to FL to LA. For a photographer, I'd recommend the mountains from NC to GA. Lots of kudzu and the hills give it some elevation to make it easier to find interesting framing and compositions.

While you're at it, you might as well photograph wisteria. Another infernal weed, but with prettier flowers that smell nice for a few weeks in the spring. But it'll crush the life out of a 200 year old pine tree without working up a sweat. I know from experience it can take seven years or more to rid your yard of wisteria. Talk about tenacious!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have an opportunity to spend a week south at the end of Feb after a business meeting.
    Thinking about a week tracking down Kudzu images, any locals out there with information on great areas to spend some time photographing.
    We would like to hunker down in one region and spend four or five days exploring .
    Any help would be appreciated.

Kudzu is dormant during the winter months. The vines look dead - lifeless this time of the year. Until it warms up in April the Kudzu thickets aren't very impressive. By June though it is in in full swing.

Come down then to see Kudzu. But as Bruce said anywhere in the deep South Kudzu can usually be found. It's much more prevalent in the Piedmont and costal areas than in the mountainous parts of the South.

Just come down to Sandy's house when it gets good and warm and we can take you to see the Kudzu.

Don

Generally, stay off the interstate highways and drive through the South and you'll have many kudzu encounters, as well as other interesting encounters of the photographic and non-photographic variety.

Back roads across Alabama connecting I-59 @ Gadsden, Cullman, Jasper & Tuscaloosa. Don't trust my spelling. Reports of Cullman hit by tornadoes a couple months back. Could be interesting as the place rebuilds.
    Go shovel snow for my daughter in Boone, NC. It reall looks like winter around Boone. Way nicer looking than kudzu.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei