Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transporting 8X10 gear

Re: Transporting 8X10 gear

Now for something a little different - take a look at:

http://www.myzigo.com

A combination bike/tricycle and stroller thing.

Or Google for the "Nordic Cab" which is a bike trailer/stroller/ski/dog sled!/hiking "thing" made in Norway.

what ben said.

a lighter camera. i carry my 8x10 century universal (9 pounds). one or two small lenses. and 2-3 film holders. if i am not far from the car then 2 at a time. you can always go back for more. camera mounted on tripod. (bogen 3021 / 3047) film holders in small back pack with lenses and Dark cloth. i can easily put the camera in the bag with the film holders. if it is too hard to walk with the mounted camera....it rarely is....

edit: if you must use your current set up....get a sherpa...errrr, i mean bring a strong friend or two! that trolley is going to suck on dead branches and off kilter inclines.....but will be perfect for some relatively flat pull....but will get tiresome fast with all your weight.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Randy,
    You might find this thread helpful.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=Jogger
    My post is #12.
    I carry either an 8x10 or a 7x17 and gear as much as four miles on trails and off. 7x17, tripod and head weigh 50 lbs. There is also a bag of lenses and 6 or 7, 7x17 film holders.

Enjoy.

John

Well, you makes your bed, you lays in it. I have had this old heavy camera for years. It functions well for me and it is in pretty good condition for its age. I have looked on ebay for a lighter folder but either they are much more than I can afford - and/or in worse condition than my camera. So, for the time being I'll have to use what I have.

Cost is a big factor for me (otherwise I would not be fretting over spending $80 for the handtruck with out the approval of you guys).

One more thought for your consideration:

$112 at my local hardware store. Remove the tub and fabricate a frame or case system of attaching all the gear. Granted, it would be something that would need some modification and would not be as portable as a jogger stroller but would be very pretty sturdy for the off-roading I want to do. I would just have to make sure it would fit in the back seat of my car (I could shorten the handles if necessary).

Thoughts?

After seeing the above I was thinking pulling that behind you... Like a horse cart....guess who tue horse is? . If you keep the weight over the wheels it may work.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Some hardware stores sell wheel barrel replacement parts so maybe you could find the frame sans tub. My vote however is a baby stroller found used in various places, the bay, craiglist, etc.

A good pack mule rocks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I suspect the Sherpa cart has a pretty narrow track and a golf cart would be wider.
    No not the electric one! The stroller works pretty well if you need to pull it, the mod you may have to make though would be a slightly higher handle if you want to pull it so it
    would balance over the main axle.

How about one of these? Kangaroo Bike - Converts from a bike to a stroller -

Have you looked at some of Stanley Tools portable tool chests? They are made of sturdy plastic and look like they can hold a lot of items. I am not too sure how they would handle rough terrain, but they look ok for hauling around when you have to park your vehicle a distance from your photo subject.

http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_...3R_mid_res.jpg

I was checking these tool chests out at wallyworld. They aren't too expensive. The only thing I would possibly change, would be the wheels. Maybe install taller wheels for more ground clearance.

I have seen two documentaries of photographers using a little trailer, while towing them behind their mountain bicycle. The amount of equipment that they load onto the trailers is amazing.