Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Transporting 8X10 gear

Re: Transporting 8X10 gear

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Jakubowski View Post
    Check this out. Here is perhaps a great solution and flexible to most terrain and biking considerations. Unfortunately it is PRICEY!! The idea needs serious cost reduction...
    www.monowalker.com
    Thought I would reserect this thread. I have sent an e-mail to find out about availibility, shipping, etc for the Monowalker hikingtrailer.

I would love to hear from anyone that has used one of these or something similar for wilderness packing.
    It seems ideal for an 8x10 kit & 2 dozen holders plus a few days provisions.

The Monowalker seems pretty cool. If I am reading their website correctly it converts from a trailer behind the bicycle to a trailer you can tow behind you as you walk (like the man in the photo). I use the Bob Ibex trailer behind one of my bicycles to tow around my 4x5 and 6x17 rigs. Although I have not tried it with my 8x10 I don’t see that as a problem.

-Joshua

Scott,

I'd reconsider carrying 24 8x10 holders in that thing, plus camping and camera gear... But i'm not a machine ginger with the 8x10 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    The Monowalker seems pretty cool. If I am reading their website correctly it converts from a trailer behind the bicycle to a trailer you can tow behind you as you walk (like the man in the photo). I use the Bob Ibex trailer behind one of my bicycles to tow around my 4x5 and 6x17 rigs. Although I have not tried it with my 8x10 I don’t see that as a problem.

-Joshua
    That's what I got from the web site as well. My understanding is that you order it in the configuration you want and then add accessories to convert it into a bicycle trailer or large rigid frame backpack. It looks to me like it was originally designed as the backpack trailer and best suited for that.
    The BOB trailer looks to be a very good unit, I will definitely keep it in mind if I ever decide to spend more time on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Scott,

I'd reconsider carrying 24 8x10 holders in that thing, plus camping and camera gear... But I'm not a machine ginger with the 8x10 though...

I know I carry to many holders and should just break down and use a changing bag in the field but I doubt I ever will. I think I'm addicted to dust free negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    Thought I would reserect this thread. I have sent an e-mail to find out about availibility, shipping, etc for the Monowalker hikingtrailer.

I would love to hear from anyone that has used one of these or something similar for wilderness packing.
    It seems ideal for an 8x10 kit & 2 dozen holders plus a few days provisions.
    Looks little different than a wheelbarrow for stability.

For winter use, I'd suggest a shappell Jet Sled.

LJ Segil

Looks like a fabulous piece of gear until you see the price. Ouch! That's an 8x10 kit right there. But on the other hand if it will get the camera out of the house, where it does nobody any good....
    LJS

John Olsen

I use an old Wildneress Experience soft suitcase with built in shoulder straps for my 8x10 Deardorff. I've tried wheeled arrangements, but encountering gravelly inclines, steps and muddy patches have convinced me that wheels don't work in the great outdoors. Fully loaded with a Gitzo on my shoulders the full packing is 60 lbs, which admittedly isn't a big encouragement for getting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Looks like a fabulous piece of gear until you see the price. Ouch! That's an 8x10 kit right there. But on the other hand if it will get the camera out of the house, where it does nobody any good....
    LJS
    It is indeed a bit pricey but when you are a days walk (or more) from civilization the quality of your gear is very important. I have been trying to weigh the cost differential between the Monowalker and the Dixon Roller Pack which is one fourth the cost. To me it appears that the Dixon is something less than one fourth the quality of the Monowalker but since no one in North America seems to inventory the thing it is just an opinion based on pictures and published specifications.

The design seems well suited to my needs since I hike and snowshoe with large heavy packs and with this single wheel pack trailer system (either brand) you only put 50% of the load weight on your body. That 50% is huge, especially when snowshoeing.

You do have a good point about getting the camera out of the house.....if it will get the thing to places that inspire me to photograph the price really is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    I use an old Wildneress Experience soft suitcase with built in shoulder straps for my 8x10 Deardorff. I've tried wheeled arrangements, but encountering gravelly inclines, steps and muddy patches have convinced me that wheels don't work in the great outdoors. Fully loaded with a Gitzo on my shoulders the full packing is 60 lbs, which admittedly isn't a big encouragement for getting out there.
    Thanks for the input. Have you tried any of the single wheel designs or have they all been the 2 wheel variety.
    I agree 60+ lbs in a backpack is not good incentive to go walking in the mountains.

I'd think the sherpa cart would be too narrow compared to the jogging stroller. Typically the JS will be around 2'+ I ididn't bother looking for specs on the Sherpa.