Page 94 of 328 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Re: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Jonathan, sorry to repeat myself, but you have a great eye for images, once again you have found fascinating images where others (which means I) might have just walked past!

I like the first one, because it tells you that the sign is lying on the ground somewhere. Although, now that I look at it, the second one is interesting too, as if you've climbed up to the top of a motel sign. It makes me kind of dizzy. I think I'm going to have to go back and make a photo of this myself. There's a part of it (not shown in your pic) with an arrow that reads "enter," and the "enter" arrow is pointed straight at the ground. I like that sort of thing. I didn't even consider a close up. And that's the sort of thing that I'll always find fascinating, the way that two different people will see the same thing so differently. There are infinite possibilities everywhere!

I like the second one. Benefits of not having been there and see the correct orientation.
    Question is, why in the hell have you not taken the sign with you???

I like it sideways! It does give one a sense of vertigo. Personally, I might've changed perspective slightly by taking one step right and maybe back one too - that might alleviate the vertigo, though maybe that's the coolest part of the photo!

For the life of me I can't see the blade.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Once again you have found fascinating images where others (which means I) might have just walked past!
    I'm not so sure about that, Peter. I think if any of us walked past a 20 foot long rotting motel sign lying on its side we would stop to photograph it. You don't see these every day. (Plus, as I mentioned, Austin had to point it out to me to begin with!)

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    I think I'm going to have to go back and make a photo of this myself. There's a part of it (not shown in your pic) with an arrow that reads "enter," and the "enter" arrow is pointed straight at the ground. I like that sort of thing. I didn't even consider a close up. And that's the sort of thing that I'll always find fascinating, the way that two different people will see the same thing so differently. There are infinite possibilities everywhere!
    I saw the "ENTER" arrow, but the fact that it points at the ground (and the potential irony and/or symbolism) didn't occur to me at all. Ten photographers would all have very different takes on this sign, I am sure. I will definitely be going back, not just for the sign but for the whole industrial area. Thanks again for the impetus to the me out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Question is, why in the hell have you not taken the sign with you???
    Because it's HUGE! While photographing it I thought, "I wonder why it's just lying here like this." But when you see the size and scale, it would take an awfully big truck and a crane to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Personally, I might've changed perspective slightly by taking one step right and maybe back one too - that might alleviate the vertigo, though maybe that's the coolest part of the photo!
    I moved the tripod all over the place trying to get what seemed like the best perspective, and I still wasn't completely satisfied with the result. There was also a big pile of old railroad ties right behind me, so getting the camera further back was difficult. That little Petzval was the widest lens I had with me, but it may not have been the best choice. I agree the image is a bit vertiginous, and not entirely in a good way. But like I said, I'll be going back. I hope Austin does, too, so we can compare versions. I'd also like to shoot it in color.

Jonathan

Cool - color sounds interesting as well. Looking forward to it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I've been out exploring again. This time at an old and now abandoned market garden (I'm not quite sure that is the correct english word for this)

In the middle of a mostly empty field stands this tall chimney

Chimney by DagenErHvid, on Flickr

And in between some trees nearby there is a ruin of an old house
    (10 points to the one that first spots the naked lady!)

Ruin by DagenErHvid, on Flickr

Is it my eyesight going, or is that chimney not straight?

It has a slight curve to the left as far as I can see.................

Eveleigh Railway Workshop, NSW, Australia

I feel like I've got my developing almost figured out. Of course, in this shot the window at the back has blown out. But anyway..

Here's another that you may have seen in a recent thread of mine.