Page 325 of 328 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,250 of 3278

Thread: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Re: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thank you for sharing your perspective, Michael.

I appreciate your input. Personally, I feel the inclusion of the car adds to the ambiance of the scene.
    Nonetheless, I respect varied tastes in composition. Here's a tighter crop, consistent with the 6x17 format, for your consideration.

Very nice. Now I feel the photograph is all about the gas station. What I would look for with my 8x20. Feininger would be pleased that the image now is more concise.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Very nice. Now I feel the photograph is all about the gas station. What I would look for with my 8x20. Feininger would be pleased that the image now is more concise.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thank you for sharing your perspective, Michael.

I appreciate your input. Personally, I feel the inclusion of the car adds to the ambiance of the scene.
    Nonetheless, I respect varied tastes in composition. Here's a tighter crop, consistent with the 6x17 format, for your consideration.

I like the cropping and it does focus on the station. But you cut off the top of the trees which should have been kept IMO>

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I like the cropping and it does focus on the station. But you cut off the top of the trees which should have been kept IMO>
    Wanting to stay in the 6x17 format, the trees and street got trimmed a little.

When I composed the shot, I composed it for 6x17 with the street, sky above the trees, and car included.
    I prefer my original perspective but I can appreciate someone else liking something different.
    Just having fun.

I tend to photograph what I think of as relationships rather than things, so I prefer the original, too. When I was in camera clubs they drove me crazy with all the talk of subject and center of interest - always things.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I tend to photograph what I think of as relationships rather than things, so I prefer the original, too. When I was in camera clubs they drove me crazy with all the talk of subject and center of interest - always things.
    Hey John,

The gas station is located in Carrabelle, FL. Carabelle has felt the brunt of numerous hurricanes in recent years. Situated less than an hour southwest of me, I am captivated by its unique lighting and ambiance.
    Carrabelle stretches along US 98, bordering the St. George Sound. The gas station faces the water, and the water was less than 1,000 feet behind the camera, which is why the light is so vivid, bouncing off the building's facade.

However, it's disheartening to witness the gradual erosion of this town. A significant stretch of US 98 that passes through Carrabelle fell to the sea during Hurricane Michael's wrath.
    Moreover, Mexico Beach, located roughly 50 miles west, faced utter devastation from the same hurricane.

With each visit, I can't help but feel like I'm chronicling the story of a Florida town that's dwindling both economically and in terms of its physical landscape. The ambiance there is poignant and evocative.
    This is what I try to capture when I photograph the streets and structures of Carabelle.

On the Georgia coast, you may have a similar town that struggles to survive.

Darr

I haven't been to Carabelle in years. I used to pass through at least once a year, but not so much now. I always thought it would be an amazing place to document, and a friend of mine actually used to have a vacation house there. I never did have the time to try staying there for a summer and just shooting like every day. I look forward to seeing what else you document there.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I haven't been to Carabelle in years. I used to pass through at least once a year, but not so much now. I always thought it would be an amazing place to document, and a friend of mine actually used to have a vacation house there. I never did have the time to try staying there for a summer and just shooting like every day. I look forward to seeing what else you document there.
    Bryan,

Let me know if you ever get around to coming back!
    Lunch/dinner will be on me.

I don't care what Feininger says, he did what he did in is own right. What artists and especially photographers say about their work or intentions is quite relative to me, because photography is also a very intuitive act. And I do not like the cropping at all. As if the viewer has to be taught: 'look at what I mean'. I also agree with what Alan Klein said about the trees, awfull.

Hey Darr,
    I've been to Carrabelle, too. First in the early 70s. And last in the mid-90s. I'll look some more, but I don't think any of my photos survived. I was shooting a 2 1/4 TLR in the 70s.
    I agree about the light. On some days the Gulf is almost like a lake with soft breezes. And Carrabelle is an interesting old place.

I tried photographing downtown Brunswick a few years ago but was so harassed by beggars on bicycles, I gave up. Now that the tourists have largely gone, I should that the Speed Graphic and shoot the St. Simons village.

I'd love to see more of your Carrabelle stuff.