Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Size Is Your Freezer?

Widows and Orphans Beware

What Size Is Your Freezer?

Finally decided to join the ranks of the doomsday preparer crowd and buy a freezer and start accumulating a lifetime supply of (about 30 years worth in my case) of film. Just curious to know what size freezers people are using.

Mine is a small chest, about 32" wide, 24" deep, and maybe 3 feet tall. This is usually the smallest size available at a store. $150 is typical for a new one.

Mine would not be big enough if I was storing enlarging paper (or ULF film) but it is abundant for the roll film and 4x5 that I have in it.

Rick "whose wife put a turkey in it, now ruined (but again frozen) after our extended power outage" Denney

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Re: What Size Is Your Freezer?

I have two. Filled with beef, pork and chicken. Also have a shelf devoted just to film from 12x20 on down...

3.6 cu ft. Mine (Summit FC-40) is discontinued, but the replacement model is this one. I've been very pleased with it. I haven't measured the temperature, but it turns vodka into a slush, so it's colder than the freezer attached to the fridge. It's manual defrosting, so no warming/cooling cycles, and it's big enough for my 11x14" and 7x17" film and has a convenient basket for rollfilm and Super-8. It hasn't made a noticeable impact on our electric bill either.

I don't know how big my freezer is -- there's so much film (from Minox to Whole Plate) in it that I can't measure it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

About 10 cu. feet, of freezer, 15 cu. feet of fridge, almost completely full, 400 rolls of 35mm, 2,000+ of 120, 1,500 sheets of 4x5 and growing, paper, loaded film backs and 4x5 holders in ziploc bags, etc...

I would just be sure to get an upright freezer with shelves. I used to have one but the compressor went out so next I bought a chest freezer which is great and sub zero but a royal PIA to get something from the bottom. You have to unload the whole damn thing.

Small. I have a couple boxes of paper, and several boxes of film. Stashed amongst the TV dinners, ice cream, and bread.

I have a 5 cu ft GE chest that's about 1/3 full of 4x5 and 8x10 film. My wife kicked me out of the kitchen freezer about 3 years ago. I like the idea of the chest freezer being opened waaaay less than the one in the kitchen. It lives in my home office and it seems to be happy there.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Are you also getting 30 years of developer? (I figure if film goes, so will prepared developers, Metol powder, etc.)

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing