Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about movements on 20x24

Question about movements on 20x24

I understand that the larger you go the more movement is necessary to have an effect. Can someone provide some numbers on how much movement is necessary to be effective on 20x24? I'm speaking specifically to use of front tilt. Thank you!

Re: Question about movements on 20x24

A degree is a degree. You may be thinking of displacements parallel to the film plane.

I was under the assumption that the larger the camera/image area the greater the movement necessary to have the same effect as it would have on a smaller format i.e. if photographing the same scene from same physical position an 11x14 camera would require a greater degree of tilt to achieve the same result and a lesser degree of tilt would achieve on a 4x5 camera. Is this accurate or have I been misled? The help is appreciated!

I'm hardly an expert on these matters but I won't let that stop me.

I thought the phenomenon you refer to has more to do with the lens focal length than the film size. A long focal length lens requires more tilt than a shorter focal length lens.

I hope I'm not "misunderestimating" the situation. If I am, I'm confident someone will correct me.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post

I thought the phenomenon you refer to has more to do with the lens focal length than the film size. A long focal length lens requires more tilt than a shorter focal length lens.

I hope I'm not "misunderestimating" the situation. If I am, I'm confident someone will correct me.
    That, i have no idea about. I've never had to think about any of this. I just use my cameras! Now that I'm working on the restoration and modification of this ULF camera (the biggest and most involved restore job I've done) I have to start thinking about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post

I agree, changing the film size is not going to have an effect on tilt/shift as it all depends on the lens.

As Dan says "a degree is a degree" at any format or focal length when you're talking about tilt and swing. For rise, fall and shift of the standards the larger the format then the larger the % of rise, fall and shift will be required.

Nate Potter, Austin TX

I guess that all makes sense since in most cases the more significant a jump you make in camera size larger the focal length of lenses you're likely to use... unless you're lucky enough to have a 150mm Goerz/Zeiss Hypergon with a 135 degree coverage capable of covering 20x24 (crazy lens!).

By the way, thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

by no means an expert, but the shorter the lens, the smaller the movements like tilt, ie if you have a 6X9 Technikardan with a 35 mm lens you really need geared movements it seems..., because you need tiny displacements of the lens plane versus the film plane.

The longer the lens the bigger the displacements for the same effect, so your 710mm (or whatever) lens will need relatively large displacements for the same effect than a shorter lens..

Hope I am correct or I will be corrected..;-)..

Best,

Cor