Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8X10 or 4X5

8X10 or 4X5

My quandary is strictly economics's.

I have a Shen-Hao 4X5 and 3 or 4 lenses. I enjoy shooting with it.

I also have a bulky, old, and heavy Fulmer & Schwing 8X10 camera and 4 barrel lenses thast I use with a Packard shutter. Honestly, I get more pleasure out of shooting with the 8X10. It's strictly emotional, I'm sure.

Here's my quandary - I am down to my last 20 sheets of 8X10 film. I have always used the cheapest Arista film I could find. That is the only way I could afford to use the camera.

I just priced film at Freestyle sales website and am looking at $99 + shipping for 50 sheets of Arista Ultra EDU 100. That's about double what I paid for Arista 8X10 film about 5 or 6 years ago.

So...if I can't find a more affordable alternative (alternative film or alternative TO film) for shooting with the 8X10, I may as well not keep the thing. I just bought 7 used holders and a Repromaster 213 mm lens and now I find that film is $100+ a box.

Any ideas for me...other than get a better paying job?

Re: 8X10 or 4X5

Maybe earn a few bucks shoveling snow?

$2/sheet for 8x10 film is a bargain. Buy all you can afford NOW. A year from now, you'll be wishing you could buy it for $2/sheet with what's happening to silver prices and logistics costs increased by fuel/terror.

I'd start looking for a 4x5 back for the 8x10 camera if you like using the system but needed cheaper film.

You could also do 8x10 paper negatives or xray film.

Octogenarian

If I understand your problem, 8x10 film is now priced beyond your budget.

I'll tell you the same thing I was told many years ago:"If you can't pay, you can't play".

If you want to keep the 8x10 outfit, put on the shelf and wait until your income increases, or find less expensive film.

Shop around. Freestyle's prices are not necessarily the lowest.

Perhaps someone on this forum can offer you some outdated 8x10 film at a reasonable price.

As a last resort, make paper negatives instead of using film.

My father used to say: "Where there's a will, there's a way".
    Last edited by Gem Singer; 13-Jan-2011 at 15:08.

Randy,

Perhaps you would like to join us in the Kodak Tmax 400 8x10 special order.....it's ONLY $6.20/sheet + shipping, if you use the coupon and order by 1/15. After that it jumps to $6.90/sheet..... :-)

Were I you, I'd follow jp's advice and pick up all the $2/sheet film you can get your hands on. Yes, all film has about doubled from where it was 5-6 years ago. That is if the film you want still exists.

In other words, your telling me the truth rather than what I want to hear...thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, my income has dropped by almost half over the past three years and I doubt I will see much in the way of recovery. I will explore more options but I could by a lot of 4X5 film if I got rid of the 8X10 gear...I guess

How about shooting x-ray or ortho litho film? X-ray film is comparable in speed (EI 100-200), but has emulsion coated on both sides, so it's necessary to carefully develop it. At $24/box of 100 sheets--it's very affordable. Freestyle is also clearing out their ortho litho film. It's really slow (~EI 6) and also a bit tricky to develop, but it's only coated on one side like normal film and $64/100 sheets.

I've used both types of film and if you can come up with a good developing process and live with an ortho film--the results can be very good.

What about getting a 5x7 or 4x5 reduction back for the 8x10.

That way you could use a smaller format some or most of the time and save the big film for select shots thereby stretching your budget. Or maybe use 4x5 for color, and 8x10 for black and white.

Octogenarian

Randy,

You state that we are telling you the truth rather than what you want to hear.

Exactly what do you want to hear?

Is your post a feeler for selling your 8x10 outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Any ideas for me...other than get a better paying job?
    To some extent it depends on how you're printing. Typically 10x8 means contact printing, while 5x4 means enlarging (optical or scanning). I'm pointing this out because how you print has an economic impact of its own that has to be included in your decision making process.

Given that, one possible solution is to stop printing until your fortunes improve. Put the money you save into film and processing. You can always print the good ones later. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS
    How about shooting x-ray or ortho litho film?
    Definitely a thought Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer
    Randy, You state that we are telling you the truth rather than what you want to hear. Exactly what do you want to hear? Is your post a feeler for selling your 8x10 outfit?
    No, just my attempt at humour. What I want to hear is "Randy, hold on, 8X10 film will soon be down to $.10 a sheet."

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    What about getting a 5x7 or 4x5 reduction back for the 8x10.
    Well, I already have a 4X5 camera outfit...but if I didn't, that would be a good option. I do have an old 5X7 back that I could probably adapt to my camera with some work. Will make some measurements.

Thanks for the input folks.