Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xenotar 150 - Safe to mismatch cells?

Re: Xenotar 150 - Safe to mismatch cells?

You might want to get one in the Photosonics mount to machine and match up to your camera. However, for even less money in your application, you might consider a Mamiya 150mm F2.8 and an adapter, or several other fast 150mm lenses made for 35mm. The unique thing about the Xenotar is the fairly large image circle that covers 4x5 and I think that is why it is somewhat sought after, along with other old lenses such as the Aero Ektar 7" f2.5, or the Pentac 8" f 2.9, as these all cover 4x5.

If you have a naked Xenotar and need the Photosonics mount, I'd guess you might be able to get one for a modest price.

http://new55project.blogspot.com

Re: Xenotar 150 - Safe to mismatch cells?

Thanks, I should have been a little clearer re: what I'm trying to accomplish, though. I've recently seen a weird amount of demand for "normal" lenses with super shallow focus for video, but no one has a good solution.

So I want to put a xenotar on a LF bellows, replace the ground glass with a microwax screen (I used to make these, much finer texture and stronger diffusion than normal ground glass), and then put a 77mm center filter on the xenotar (via eBay, can't afford one new) in accordance with how much fall-off my spot meter tells me I'm getting on my ground glass. Then attach a video dSLR to the rig with a 55mm nikor micro focused on the ground glass, and shoot away.

Should give an upside down image with a focal length equivalent to like 30mm on APS-C? But potentially with the equivalent depth of field of around f0.5.

Kind of a silly endeavor, which is why I probably won't bother.