Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Current Color films for LF night photography

Re: Current Color films for LF night photography

Thanks Noah and engl...I'm going to keep looking for the plasmats. Would I be right in assuming that as long as the lensboard is made to the camera's specs, that 'most' lenses will fit provided the correct hole size is made for it? In any case...I've put up four of my last exposures on my flickr page. All were shot on Ilford Delta 100, developed in Perceptol, and scanned at college into hi-res tif's. The ones posted there are jpg converstions as each tif was about 165mb. All have been through some s/w mods, but some were only cropped. Thanks to a newly acquired Toyo loupe, and remembering to bring along my shutter release cable, the images are looking better...lol. I've decided to drop out of trying for the NL shot...and I've narrowed down my field of interest for this project to the Isle of Skye. I'll be shooting in both b/w and color. Whatever set of images makes the best impression will be put forward for grading. The information that's been passed on here has been an asset for certain, and I'm still terribly interested in finding out what the new Portra is like.

Stefan

Yes, if the board is made for your camera, and the hole matches the shutter size, the lens will fit. Some lenses have too big rear elements to fit though the hole in the front standard, but you are likely not shopping for any such lenses (generally wide-angle lenses for 8x10 and such). You are probably looking for a lens 150mm or shorter in a #0 size shutter, same as the one you have.

For a lot of shooting the Optar you already have will be great, it is plenty sharp stopped down, sharp enough for many uses wide open (at least in the center). The big advantage of getting a plasmat is that you get movements, front tilt and rise will let you do things your MF/DSLR gear can't.

Some good plasmat lens series:
    Fujinon W, NW, CM-W (W lenses are plasmats if they are F5.6)
    Nikkor-W
    Schneider Apo-Symmar, Symmar-S
    Rodenstock Sironar-N, Apo-Sironar-N, Apo-Sironar-S
    Caltar II-N, II-S
    Sinar Sinaron S

The college has a couple of Cambo view cameras that I could borrow at any time...and they're equipped with the Rodenstock Sironar-N lens in 250mm...I think. Problem is that I just don't think its going to be prudent to try and haul that much up to a place I've never been to before. I'm still trying to connect with some locals in the area, but am having little or no success. Further south towards Oslo it would seem that people are a bit more open to communications...hence the reasoning behind my decision. Given the chance however...I'll still want to do some night shots on Skye if possible...just depends on the weather and location I suppose. Kudos to engl for that list of lenses...am keeping a copy of it on the desktop for my searches later on when the bank balance says I can.