Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE don't put photos on flickr

Re: PLEASE don't put photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    How many times have you scanned through a thread only to see numerous instances of
    "This photo is not available" accompanied by the flickr logo?

If you expect your information to persist in the forum threads, please use hosting sites that will keep the images online.

Donning my asbestos suit, I remain affectionately...

- Leigh
    Flickr doesn't delete the links. The users do, and that is their choice.

In a sales thread you ask that the seller not post to Picasa fearing it malware, and now you ask no one to post to Flickr. These two sites are two of the (if not the top two) largest, most robust and stable platforms for sharing photos that exist. Flickr is a wonderful online community, provided you find the niches you enjoy there. I've made real-world photography friends that I met through that forum, similar to what happens on this forum at times.

Cross-pollination between the two places is not bad in my book. I actually prefer it when someone posts flickr links here, because then if I like their example, I look at their entire stream, add them as a contact to keep up with them when they post, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The Internet Archive ("Wayback Machine") provides only fragmentary coverage of the web. Search for any particular content from past years and that will quickly be apparent. There's plenty of detail here about how and why the Archive is not complete.

Nor is the Internet Archive itself in any way assured to be permanent. It's not "the internet" - it's a data-archiving initiative by a particular private organization that may or may not last.

Nothing on the web is permanent "by definition". On the contrary: by default, web content is highly fugitive.
    Oren is completely correct. It is a simple matter to remove content from archive.org or to prevent their crawling of your site. They give instructions on how to do this.

Thinking that the information on the internet is permanent and exhaustive is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

So do you claim that those posts are still meaningful with the images deleted?

- Leigh
    Dear Leigh,

Your are an idiot...

jim k

Another thing I noticed is other sites don't display a big blank frame saying the image is no longer visible which looks awful (I too get annoyed when this happens, specially with my own photos).

...But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Leigh,

Your are an idiot...

jim k
    Cannot boast that many posts as you, still I think such a remark has no place in above discussion, which for the most is civilized and polite, expressing pro and cons in said matter, or perhaps I miss some irony in your remark despite the smiley? After all English is not my first language..

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Cannot boast that many posts as you, still I think such a remark has no place in above discussion, which for the most is civilized and polite, expressing pro and cons in said matter, or perhaps I miss some irony in your remark despite the smiley? After all English is not my first language..

Cor
    Sometimes it is an enlightening exercise to click on the "find all posts" button and read through the contributions of various members.

Jim Kitchen, besides being an amazing photographer, is one of this forum's (IMHO) most valuable contributors.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Sometimes it is an enlightening exercise to click on the "find all posts" button and read through the contributions of various members.

Jim Kitchen, besides being an amazing photographer, is one of this forum's (IMHO) most valuable contributors.

That may very well be, John, but does that give him the right to call somebody an idiot? I do not know Leigh but it sounded to not too nice.

I'll shut up now, I'll leave it to the moderators to judge..

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    Oren is completely correct. It is a simple matter to remove content from archive.org or to prevent their crawling of your site. They give instructions on how to do this.

Thinking that the information on the internet is permanent and exhaustive is just wrong.
    It is not just wrong, it is also indicative of a complete misunderstanding of its very nature.

But then again, so is the appeal to refrain from cross-referencing one social site on the other...

Thumbs up Re: PLEASE don't put photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Leigh,
    Your are an idiot...
    jim k
    Hi Jim,

I believe you meant "You are an idiot", not "your are ...".

There are those who would agree with you, but the vast majority would not.

You certainly have a right to your opinion, and to express it.

Have a nice day.

- Leigh

Thumbs down Re: PLEASE don't put photos on flickr

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Jim Kitchen, besides being an amazing photographer ...
    How are we to know, when he deletes all his images?

- Leigh